Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress energy components as a 3 or 4 density?

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    I usually come across expressions for the Stress energy tensor showing them as three densities (normally over a space-like slice.
    In wikipedia's article on the spin tensor, they clearly (it does not appear to be an error) both write about and express the components of the stress energy tensor as four-densities. Is the three density just an approximation then?
    For example:
    06db8c0990a297671e457be2a9e4ba13.png
    I usually come across this as an integral over three-space.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wikipedia is wrong. In fact the statement itself makes no sense whatsoever. You cannot get momentum at time t if you have integrated t out!

Also, please note that it is customary (and required!) to link to your sources. Others should not have to go through the process of finding something you talk about to verify what you have said.

4. Jan 26, 2016 #3
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_tensor
    Apologies.
    Thank you for your response, originally I had thought time would necessarily be explicit still as a limit of integration

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook