Stress Energy Tensor for Oscillator: Setup for Electron in E-Field

In summary: GR is what I'm working out of. Misner, Lewis, and plenty of YouTube lectures. It was simply a construct that I had imagined when I was trying to figure out how to solve a problem.
Devin
How would one go about setting up the stress energy tensor for a particle, say an electron subjected to electric an electric field that makes the particle oscillate with frequency \omega?

Physics news on Phys.org
Devin said:
How would one go about setting up the stress energy tensor for a particle

Strictly speaking, a point particle doesn't have a stress-energy tensor. The SET describes a continuous distribution of matter/energy. However, you can finesse this by using delta functions, as shown here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress–energy_tensor#Stress.E2.80.93energy_in_special_situations

However, as that article says, the SET given there is for a non-interacting particle. I don't think you can consistently formulate an SET for just a charged particle in an electric field. You would have to include the stress-energy in the field as well, and to be self-consistent you would have to also construct a charge-current 4-vector to describe the particle and solve Maxwell's Equations, and verify that your solution of Maxwell's Equations gave you the fields you used to construct the SET.

It would help to have more information about why you want to do this.

I'm just in my beginning stages of learning the theory. I've derived just about everything, but i don't understand the stress tensor, or how to construct it. I would like to be able to solve problems, and this is one that came to mind.

Devin said:
I'm just in my beginning stages of learning the theory.

What theory? SR? GR? What sources have you used? How did this particular problem occur to you?

I'm asking because the problem you're asking about is not one that is normally encountered as an exercise in relativity textbooks; they usually ask about stress-energy tensors that are much easier to define and work with, such as the SET of a perfect fluid.

GR is what I'm working out of. Misner, Lewis, and plenty of YouTube lectures. It was simply a construct that I had imagined...

PeterDonis said:
What theory? SR? GR? What sources have you used? How did this particular problem occur to you?

I'm asking because the problem you're asking about is not one that is normally encountered as an exercise in relativity textbooks; they usually ask about stress-energy tensors that are much easier to define and work with, such as the SET of a perfect fluid.

1. What is the Stress-Energy Tensor for an Oscillator?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is a mathematical quantity used in the study of General Relativity and other theories of gravity. It represents the distribution of energy and momentum in a given region of space and time.

2. Why is the Stress-Energy Tensor important for studying an Electron in an Electric Field?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is important for studying an Electron in an Electric Field because it allows us to calculate the effects of the electric field on the electron's energy and momentum, and how this affects the overall dynamics of the system.

3. How is the Stress-Energy Tensor calculated for an Electron in an Electric Field?

The Stress-Energy Tensor for an Electron in an Electric Field can be calculated using the equations of motion for the electron and the known properties of the electric field. This involves solving a set of differential equations and plugging in the appropriate values for the electron's mass, charge, and the strength of the electric field.

4. What is the Setup for an Electron in an Electric Field?

The setup for an Electron in an Electric Field involves placing a charged electron in the presence of an external electric field. This could be achieved by using an electrically charged plate or by applying a voltage difference between two electrodes. The electron will then experience a force due to the electric field, causing it to move and accelerate.

5. How does the Stress-Energy Tensor for an Oscillator help us understand the behavior of an Electron in an Electric Field?

The Stress-Energy Tensor for an Oscillator provides us with a comprehensive description of the energy and momentum distribution in the system. It allows us to analyze the effects of the electric field on the electron's motion and understand how it contributes to the overall dynamics of the system. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of the electron in an electric field and making predictions about its future behavior.