Find Magnitude of F to Cause Net Effect of 3 Forces: Stress in Bolt

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of a force and calculating the stress in a bolt's shank. The solution involves using the sum of vertical forces and calculating the stress using the cross-sectional area of the bolt's shank. The area is divided by 4 because it is the area of a circle with a diameter, not a radius.
mert

Homework Statement

(a) By using either the vector algebra or polygon methods for finding a
resultant, determine the magnitude of F that will cause the net effect of
the three forces to act vertically.
(b) For that value of F, determine the stress in the bolt’s 1-cm diameter
straight shank.
Screenshot_27_10_2013_18_17_31.png

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that the sum of the vertical forces are 791.75 N. But I don't know how to calculate the tensile stress in a bolt, is there a special equation to find the area? (sorry I'm new at mechanical engineering :) )
By the way the answers are: (a) 568.46 N, (b) 10.08 MPa

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer,
The cross sectional area is A= (pi*d^2)/4 = 0.00000785398 m^2
791.75/0.0000785398= 10080876.1927 Pa = 10.08 MPa

But I don't understand why do we divide the area by 4?

Look up the definition of stress, or even just the units...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(mechanics )

Units
The dimension of stress is that of pressure, and therefore its coordinates are commonly measured in the same units as pressure: namely, pascals (Pa, that is, Newtons per square metre) in the International System, or pounds per square inch (psi) in the Imperial system.

Last edited by a moderator:
mert said:
But I don't understand why do we divide the area by 4?

The area of a circle is Pi*R^2 or Pi*(D/2)^2 = (Pi*D^2)/4

Oh sorry, i didn't realize that it was the diameter, I tried to solve the problem like it was the radius. My bad :) (Sorry for my poor english) The reason i couldn't solve the problem at the first place is i overlooked the word diameter, thanks

1. How do I find the magnitude of F to cause a net effect of 3 forces on a bolt?

The magnitude of F can be found by first determining the individual magnitudes of the 3 forces acting on the bolt. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant force (F) by squaring each of the individual magnitudes and taking the square root of the sum of the squares.

2. What are the 3 forces that can cause stress in a bolt?

The 3 forces that can cause stress in a bolt are tension, compression, and shear. Tension occurs when the bolt is being pulled apart, compression occurs when the bolt is being pushed together, and shear occurs when the bolt is being twisted.

3. How does the net effect of 3 forces affect the stress in a bolt?

The net effect of 3 forces on a bolt can increase or decrease the stress depending on the direction and magnitude of each force. If the forces are all acting in the same direction, the stress will increase. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, the stress will decrease.

4. Can the magnitude of F be negative?

No, the magnitude of F cannot be negative. Magnitude is a measure of size or amount and cannot have a negative value. However, the direction of F can be negative, indicating that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

5. How can I ensure that the bolt can withstand the stress caused by the net effect of 3 forces?

To ensure that the bolt can withstand the stress, it is important to choose a bolt with a suitable strength and size. Additionally, proper installation techniques and regular maintenance can help prevent failure due to stress. Consulting with an engineer or following industry standards can also help ensure the bolt is able to withstand the stress.