What is the Correct Calculation for Stress in Steel and Concrete?

In summary, the author attempted to solve for the area of a steel plate with a given stress, but failed because the units weren't declared. The equation was corrected to include the area of the steel and the applied load, which showed that the steel would be resisting a total of 1000 kN.
foo9008

Homework Statement

here's the question , Part of solution was given , but not the final ans . I have tried to do , but i need someone to verify my ans .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since , stress of steel is 12.5 times of stress of concrete . The max allowable stress in steel is 175MPa , while for the concrete is 20MPa . The author choose stress of steel = 175MPa , because by doing so , the stress in concrete is 14MPa(<20MPa) ,
But if the author choose stress of concrete = 14MPA , then the stress of steel would be = 12.5(14) = 250MPa , which is (>175MPa)

So , in 2nd part , my working = (17.5x10^6)(Area of steel) + (14x10^6)(10 Area of steel ) = 1000x10^3

so , Area of steel = 0.52(mm^2) , is my ans and concept correct ?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
or there's something wrong with my calculation ?

Anyone can response?

anyone ?

Or each of the steel and concrete received forces of 1000kN ?

The second part doesn't look right.

Note the area of the concrete, a2, is 10 times the area of the steel. What is the area of the steel?

What does one assume about load P on the combined area?

Your answer of 0.52 mm2 seems improbable, if not impractical, and so, without looking at your working, I am inclined to try a different approach. The usual problem here is often the units; so stick to, say N and mm. Try a concrete area of say 50 mm x 50 mm. At 14 MPa (ie N/mm2) , its resistance is? The steel would have a thickness of 250/200 = 1.25 mm and this does seem practical. So what is the steel's resistance? When you add these two resistances together, how does this compare with the applied load? So how far are you from the problem now you have a better feel for the quantities involved? - perhaps this is not the help you were expecting, but worth trying?

Astronuc said:
The second part doesn't look right.

Note the area of the concrete, a2, is 10 times the area of the steel. What is the area of the steel?

sorry , i made a typo , it should be (175x10^6)(Area of steel) + (14x10^6)(10 Area of steel ) = 1000x10^3
Area of steel = 3.174(mm^2) , is it correct now ?

Astronuc said:
total force = pressure act on steel (area of steel) + pressure on concrete (area of concrete)
= pressure act on steel (area of steel) + pressure on concrete (10 area of steel)

Still looks funny. I am struggling to visualise 3.174 mm2. You haven't declared your units. Can you explain the 10^6 and the 10^3 in your corrected equation?

Likes foo9008
pongo38 said:
Still looks funny. I am struggling to visualise 3.174 mm2. You haven't declared your units. Can you explain the 10^6 and the 10^3 in your corrected equation?
10^6 = MPa , 10^3 = kN , are they wrong ?

are they wrong ?

1. What is stress in steel and concrete?

Stress in steel and concrete refers to the amount of force or pressure that is applied to these materials, causing them to deform or strain. It is a critical factor in the design and performance of structures made from steel and concrete.

2. How is stress measured in steel and concrete?

Stress in steel and concrete is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa). This measurement is known as stress intensity and it provides a measure of the internal forces acting on the material.

3. What factors can cause stress in steel and concrete?

There are several factors that can cause stress in steel and concrete, including external loads, such as weight or pressure from other structures, and temperature changes. Chemical reactions, such as corrosion, can also contribute to stress in these materials.

4. How does stress affect the strength of steel and concrete?

High levels of stress can significantly decrease the strength and durability of steel and concrete. When these materials are subjected to excessive stress, they may experience permanent deformation or even failure, which can compromise the safety and stability of a structure.

5. How can stress in steel and concrete be managed?

To manage stress in steel and concrete, engineers use a variety of techniques, such as selecting appropriate materials, designing structures that can withstand expected loads, and implementing measures to prevent corrosion. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address potential sources of stress in these materials.