What is a stress singularity and why does it disappear at certain angles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of stress singularities in FE analyses for an 'L' shaped model at certain angles, and the mathematical explanation for their disappearance above or below these angles. The concept of stress singularity is defined as a point in which elasticity equations give an infinite stress, which can occur in axisymmetric bodies or at points where a load is applied. The Williams' series solution is mentioned as a comprehensive solution for elastic stress singularities, with links provided for further reading. The use of Airy's stress function is also discussed, but its limitations in considering the geometry of the corner angle are noted.
Xishan
Hello!
I've found in my FE Analyses (For an 'L' shaped model) that for each value of Poisson's Ratio there exists a certain substanded angle above which the elastic solution has no stress singularity. Can somebody tell me what really a stress singularity means mathematically? and that why does it disappear above/below certain angles. I would also appreciate a detailed mathematical treatment of this problem.

Thanks,
Xishan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it that I've posted in a wrong forum?

Xishan said:
Hello!
I've found in my FE Analyses (For an 'L' shaped model) that for each value of Poisson's Ratio there exists a certain substanded angle above which the elastic solution has no stress singularity. Can somebody tell me what really a stress singularity means mathematically? and that why does it disappear above/below certain angles. I would also appreciate a detailed mathematical treatment of this problem.

Thanks,
Xishan

You don't mistake posting it here. I don't know about it very much, but I recall when studying FEM a stress singularity was a point in which elasticity equations give an in infinite stress. It can be found in axisymmetric bodies due to central symmetry or on points in which you are directly applying a load. Maybe a better answer would be provided if you especify the load acting on your body.

You're familiar with the Williams' series solution ? It's as far as I know a first complete solution for general loading (there've been specific ones like Westergaard's etc. earlier) for elastic stress singularities arising from a corner of a specific angle. When the corner "converges" the case reduces to a crack, which it is typically intented for, but the Airy stress function can be solved for whatever angle (using traction free boundary conditions), as such altering the singularity. For a isotropic linear-elastic medium with a crack the stress singularity is the "familiar" [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{r}}[/tex], where [tex]r[/tex] is the distance of a material point in a polar coordinate system stationed at the singularity.

For the detailed theory & derivation of the solution look e.g. :

http://www.engin.brown.edu/courses/En224/airyexample/airyexample.html
http://ceae.colorado.edu/~saouma/Lecture-Notes/lecfrac.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Well! let me see... the second link that you've mentioned doesn't contain the full text. As far as I can recall from my undergrad course, the Airy's stress function doesn't work here. It doesn't take the geometry as input does it? For example it doesn't consider the crack angle, all it will give is the point where stresses are infinite and that I already know to be the corner... or may be I'm not getting it right! please help

The stress function developed by Williams is for a boundary layer type of an analysis (i.e. an infinite domain) with generic far-field boundary conditions. The solution of the stress function for different corner angles (360 being a crack) will give you different kinds of singularities depending on the corner angle ... which I think is close to what you're doing in your FEM analysis (with a different geometry for sure, but the corner is most dependent on the angle and so in principle it ougth to work fine).

1. What is a stress singularity at corners?

A stress singularity at corners is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a sudden increase in stress at a sharp corner or edge of a material or structure. It is caused by a concentration of stress due to a sudden change in geometry, leading to a localized high stress region.

2. How does stress singularity at corners affect materials?

Stress singularity at corners can significantly weaken materials and structures, leading to failure or cracks. This is because the concentrated stress can exceed the material's yield strength, causing it to deform or fracture. It is essential to consider stress singularity at corners when designing structures to ensure their stability and durability.

3. What factors contribute to stress singularity at corners?

Several factors can contribute to stress singularity at corners, including the geometry of the material or structure, the applied load, and the type of material. Materials with lower ductility, such as brittle materials, are more susceptible to stress singularity at corners compared to ductile materials.

4. How is stress singularity at corners analyzed?

Stress singularity at corners can be analyzed using mathematical equations, such as the stress concentration factor, which determines the ratio of maximum stress at a corner to the applied stress. Finite element analysis is also commonly used to simulate and predict stress concentrations at corners.

5. How can stress singularity at corners be minimized?

To minimize stress singularity at corners, it is essential to design structures with rounded corners instead of sharp edges. This helps to distribute the stress more evenly and reduces the concentration of stress. Additionally, using materials with higher ductility can also help to reduce stress singularity at corners.