Maximum Rod Diameter Calculation for Tension Test Specimen

In summary, in order to calculate the maximum rod diameter for the tension test specimen, the area must be calculated using the formula A = π*r^2. Then, rearrange the equation to solve for r, and plug in the given values for stress and force to find the maximum diameter. It is important to carry units along with all calculations and to have a clear understanding of the formulas being used.
FritoTaco

Homework Statement

A ¼ in. diameter rod must be machined on a lathe to a smaller diameter for use as a specimen in a tension test. The rod material is expected to break at a normal stress of 63,750 psi. If the tensile testing machine can apply no more than 925 lb of force to the specimen, calculate the maximum rod diameter that should be used for the specimen.

Homework Equations

σ = F / A (simga = Force / Area) Sigma also means stress
A = π*r2
d = 2*r

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm trying to find the max diameter the rod can be so the machine is just strong enough to break the rod. Am I first suppose to find the area as I did and got 0.049 and then calculate for sigma (stress)? Then what I haven't shown is trying to calculate for max diameter. So, first thing that's going through my mind, I look at d = 2*r. And I say I need to find a new r to get my new d. I look at A = π*r2, and think that if I plug in 0.125(1/4th) in for r and get A = 0.049. I don't know if that will help me or not. I next look at σ = F / A, I have σ (63,750 psi) and F (925 lb). I guess all that's left is A (area). So rearrange the equation to become A = F / σ to get 925 / 63,750 = 0.0145. Do I now take A = π*r2 and get r by itself to become r = A / π2 and that is 0.0145 / π2 which is 0.00147? Then that is the radius and multiply by 2 to get the diameter which becomes 0.00294? This seems unlikely and incorrect. Can someone point me in the right direction please and thank you. The work shown in the picture is a little different then what I also had in mind.
IMG_0149.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
FritoTaco said:

Homework Statement

A ¼ in. diameter rod must be machined on a lathe to a smaller diameter for use as a specimen in a tension test. The rod material is expected to break at a normal stress of 63,750 psi. If the tensile testing machine can apply no more than 925 lb of force to the specimen, calculate the maximum rod diameter that should be used for the specimen.

Homework Equations

σ = F / A (simga = Force / Area) Sigma also means stress
A = π*r2
d = 2*r

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm trying to find the max diameter the rod can be so the machine is just strong enough to break the rod. Am I first suppose to find the area as I did and got 0.049 and then calculate for sigma (stress)? Then what I haven't shown is trying to calculate for max diameter. So, first thing that's going through my mind, I look at d = 2*r. And I say I need to find a new r to get my new d. I look at A = π*r2, and think that if I plug in 0.125(1/4th) in for r and get A = 0.049. I don't know if that will help me or not. I next look at σ = F / A, I have σ (63,750 psi) and F (925 lb). I guess all that's left is A (area). So rearrange the equation to become A = F / σ to get 925 / 63,750 = 0.0145. Do I now take A = π*r2 and get r by itself to become r = A / π2 and that is 0.0145 / π2 which is 0.00147? Then that is the radius and multiply by 2 to get the diameter which becomes 0.00294? This seems unlikely and incorrect. Can someone point me in the right direction please and thank you. The work shown in the picture is a little different then what I also had in mind.
View attachment 96032

First of all, get in the habit of carrying units along with all your calculations. It will be less confusing for you and certainly less confusing for anyone reviewing your work.

Second, learn what the formulas you are using mean. If σ = F / A and you are given σ and F, then A must be the cross sectional area which gives σ when F is applied. All of this existential doubt running through your post is unnecessary and distracting. All you are doing is confusing yourself.

You calculated that the new A for the rod must be 0.0145. 0.0145 what? This is where units are vital.

Since the rod will have a circular cross section, then A = πr2 . When you tried to solve this equation for r, you got r = A / π2.

Third, check your algebra and arithmetic at all steps of your calculations. You had a simple equation for the area of a circle, and you solved it incorrectly to find r.

Likes FritoTaco and Chestermiller
Sorry, I forgot about the units. 0.0145 in2. Also, yeah I won't start doubting myself anymore I'll just state what I have, thanks. Also, what do you mean I solved r incorrectly? Are you saying this part: r = A / π2 which equals 0.0145in2/ π = 0.00294in2. I just rearranged the equation to get r by itself and plug in A which was previously solved for.

FritoTaco said:
Sorry, I forgot about the units. 0.0145 in2. Also, yeah I won't start doubting myself anymore I'll just state what I have, thanks. Also, what do you mean I solved r incorrectly? Are you saying this part: r = A / π2 which equals 0.0145in2/ π = 0.00294in2. I just rearranged the equation to get r by itself and plug in A which was previously solved for.
If A = π ⋅ r2, then r ≠ A / π2. For a circular section, A = π ⋅ r2, not A = (π r)2

r2 = A / π. What do you have to do next to get r ?

Likes FritoTaco
Oh, yeah that seems correct I don't know why I had it flipped. So I got r2 = π/0.0145in2. r2 = √216.6. r = 14.72. Then I plugged r into d = 2*r. Which came out to be 29.42in2. Shouldn't the diameter be a lot smaller than that?

FritoTaco said:
Oh, yeah that seems correct I don't know why I had it flipped. So I got r2 = π/0.0145in2. r2 = √216.6. r = 14.72. Then I plugged r into d = 2*r. Which came out to be 29.42in2. Shouldn't the diameter be a lot smaller than that?
A = π ⋅ r2. So how did you get r2 = π / A ? When you get a non-sensical result, you must get in the habit of checking your work.

Likes FritoTaco
Oh sorry, I realized that was a mistake, I shouldn't be rushing. r2 = A / π. So now, r2 = 0.049in2 / π = 0.0156in2. √r = √0.0156in2 = 0.0124in2. That is r so now I should plug it into d = 2r. So d = 2(0.124in2) = 0.25in.

Last edited:
FritoTaco said:
Oh sorry, I realized that was a mistake, I shouldn't be rushing. r2 = A / π. So now, r2 = 0.049in2 / π = 0.0156in2. √r = √0.0156in2 = 0.0124in2. That is r so now I should plug it into d = 2r. So d = 2(0.124in2) = 0.25in.
Congratulations! You have calculated the original diameter of the un-machined rod.

Your calculations have gone somewhat awry after having dealt with the area of a circle calculation. The original A you calculated was 0.0145 in2.
From this, you calculated r2 = 0.049 in2, which is not correct. Always double-check your arithmetic for careless mistakes in copying results from your calculator to your paper.

Likes FritoTaco
So once I found 0.0145 in2. Do I plug that back in r2 = A / π which equals √0.0145in2 and r = 0.068in2. Multiply by 2 for diameter to get 0.136in2.

FritoTaco said:
So once I found 0.0145 in2. Do I plug that back in r2 = A / π which equals √0.0145in2 and r = 0.068in2. Multiply by 2 for diameter to get 0.136in2.
A / π = 0.0145 / π = r2. The diameter of 0.136 in < the original diameter of 0.25 in, which seems reasonable.

Likes FritoTaco
Alright, thank you for the help. I am now able to understand all the variables and formulas being used. I'm completely new to this so this helped, thanks!

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to a material per unit area, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. In other words, stress is the cause and strain is the effect.

2. How are stress and strain related?

Stress and strain are directly related through a material property known as Young's modulus. This modulus describes the ratio of stress to strain and is a measure of a material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation.

3. How are stress and strain calculated?

Stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length or deformation by the original length of the material. Both stress and strain are typically measured in units of force per unit area (such as pounds per square inch) and have no units (they are dimensionless), respectively.

4. What factors can affect stress and strain calculations?

The properties of the material, such as its Young's modulus and yield strength, can greatly affect stress and strain calculations. The type and magnitude of the applied force, as well as the geometry of the material, can also impact these calculations.

5. How are stress and strain used in engineering and design?

Stress and strain calculations are essential for engineers and designers in determining the safety and structural integrity of a material or structure. They are used to select appropriate materials, design structures to withstand expected forces, and identify potential failure points in a design.