1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stress strain diagram

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    given the following points of the stress strain graph
    points.JPG
    and knowing that the stages are defined

linear σ=Eε
    uniform plastic σ=Kδ2
    necking σ=αδ

where ε is an elastic strain and δ plastic strain

find the values of the constants E K n α

using the given data i plotted σ(ε) and got the following
    Capture.JPG

now to find the constant E, i take the linear portion and find its incline, i get
    E=33.33MPa

as for the others
    for the platic deformation, can i take an of the points after (3,9) ?
    for each point i chose i get a different value
    K=σ/δ2
    K=4e4/(13e-4)2=2.366864e10
    K=4.5e4/(20e-4)2=1.125e10

is the necking portion not meant to be after a maximum point in the graph? in this graph i have no such point.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Linear, curved, linear.

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    okay i see what you are saying, so then i can find the curve of the last part as i did for the first part, but how about the curved portion?

5. Dec 9, 2009 #4
    as i said for each point i take i get a different value
    K=σ/δ^2
    K=4e4/(13e-4)^2=2.366864e10
    K=4.5e4/(20e-4)^2=1.125e10

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5
    i think that the problem is the relationship between δ and ε, since the graph i have and the data given is for is σ(ε), but the constants i need are for σ(δ) what is the connection between δ and ε?
    i thought that δ=ε+c (c being the permanent deformation after the linear portion of the graph,) but i solved the equations using δ=ε+c

σ=αδ
    σ=Kδ^2
    using the given data

but i cannot solve for K, α, every time i plug in different data i get different values,

i have been using the 1st 3 sets of data for the 1st linear section
    the second 3 sets for the parabolic section
    the last 2 sets for the final linear section

clearly the δ cannot be raplaced directly by ε since when the stress=0 the function MUST also be 0, and the strain will not be 0 after plastic deformation, looking at the graph we can also see that the parabolic and linear sections will not reach (0,0)
    i can find the functions for these curves as a function of the strain ε but not δ which i need in order to find the constants

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook