Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress-strain diagrams

1. Dec 18, 2004 #1
    How the stress-strain diagram of Cast Iron differs from that of Stailless Steel?
    If someone can post a link of a website from where I can find stress-strain diagrams of different materials, it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 19, 2004 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

You probably want to look at elastic (Young's) modulus, proportional limit, yield strength (YS), tensile strength(UTS) and compare them. That is what can you say about the elastic behavior of the two materials (i.e. less than proportial limit and YS), and what can you say about the plastic range - between YS and UTS, and then after UTS (strain to rupture).

Excellent links Gokul! I had overlooked the NACA documents and that link was very useful.

5. Dec 19, 2004 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And in case you have only YS and/or UTS data available there are a bunch of correlations to derive true stress-strain curves on the basis of these two (and work as good validation tools as well).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?