1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress & strain for steel wire

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    A 1.80-m long round steel wire with a cross-sectional diameter of 0.80 mm is placed over a light frictionless pulley, with one end of the wire connected to a 23.0-kg mass and the other end connected to a 14.0-kg mass. By how much does the wire stretch when the masses are in motion?

S= F/A
    e= ΔL/L°
    S= Ye (where Y is Young's modulus for steel= 210 GN/m^2)

I figured the F i needed in the first equation would be the tension in the wire. I got 171N for that answer and then I applied it to S= F/A. I found my S to be about 340163 N/m^2. I don't know whether to use that S for S=Ye or not. Where do I go from here?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't check your numbers, but yes, the tensile stress is the tension force divided by the cross-sectional area, and this is the stress that goes into your equation involving young's modulus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted