1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress/Strain With Steel

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    I have a question on axial loads. I can get to a certain point but cant quite work out how to used the forumla properly. The question is

Given that the maximum compressive stress for steel is 235MN/m2. Using a factor of saftey of 3, determin the maximum axial compressive load that can be applied to a steel punch with a 25mm circumferance.

So far i work out we need to find the area of the punch, which we work out diameter first then half it and work out area using pie x r squared. This is fairly easy but now i know the forumla to use but do i need to work out the slenderness ratio first?

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I think you should keep it simple:

With a safety factor of 3 the maximum compressive stress that should be applied to the punch is 78.3 MN/m^2. The maximum load that it should experience can be calculated by using the cross sectional area that you calculated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?