1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress / strain

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    After making a chart in Excel and obtaining the equation " Y= 3E+07x+2445.3 "

Now i need to calculate the modulus of elasticity. I know that the slope of the equation gives the modulus of elasticity.

but I have no clue how to even begin solving the equation Y= 3E+07x+2445.3

I do know E=stress/strain.... any hint or advice would help.

(do i just find the slope of elastic portion)? is that the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    I am also struggling with a mech problem and it seems there are relatively few mechanical engineers are here. So let's try to help each other. Sorry if I can give you only general advice.
    It always helps to write the units with the equations. I could pretend understanding physics a lot of times because I could deduce the rules from the units. Serious scientists also cheat the same way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis
    It also helps to state the meaning of the letters used.
    For now I will pretend that y is stress, x is strain, and E is not Young modulus, but 3E+07 wants to mean 3*10^7
    So we have
    y = ax+b
    where a=30 MPa
    and b=2445.3 (dimensionless)
    the stress/strain function is
    f(x) = ax + b
    it's slope is simply its derivative
    f'(x) = a
    So the elastic modulus is 30 Mpa

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook