Stress tensor components question

In summary, the stress tensor in cartesian components is represented by the equation \sigma=\sigma_{ij} (e_i \otimes e_j) and when multiplied with itself, it results in a scalar value of \sigma_{ij}^2 due to the use of kronecker deltas in the calculation.
The Alchemist

Homework Statement

stress tensor in cartesian components.
[tex]\sigma[/tex] is the stress tensor.
[tex]e_i[/tex] are the basis vectors

Homework Equations

[tex]\sigma \cdot \sigma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to write out the components with a cartesian basis:
[tex]\sigma=\sigma_{ij} (e_i \otimes e_j)[/tex]
But then I'm stuck on
[tex]\sigma \cdot \sigma = \sigma_{ij} (e_i \otimes e_j) \cdot \sigma_{ji} (e_j \otimes e_i) [/tex]

How can that be a scalar, since it is the scalar product...

I have no idea if this is the right approach, should I explicit use the unit vectors e_i to emphasize the cartesian components?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I made my way through this.

[tex]
\sigma_{ij} (e_i \otimes e_j) \cdot \sigma_{kl} (e_k \otimes e_l) = \sigma_{ij} \delta_{ik} \delta_{jl} \sigma_{kl}
= \sigma_{ij}^2
[/tex]
This is indeed a scalar, since there is no tensor space to span.
The key was to create the kronecker deltas.

Thanks anyway.

1. What is a stress tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the state of stress at a point within a material. It is a 3x3 matrix that describes the magnitude and direction of stress in three dimensions.

2. What are the components of a stress tensor?

The components of a stress tensor are normal stresses in the x, y, and z directions (σxx, σyy, σzz) and shear stresses in the x-y, y-z, and x-z planes (τxy, τyz, τxz).

3. How are stress tensor components measured?

Stress tensor components can be measured using various methods, such as strain gauges, photoelasticity, or finite element analysis. These techniques involve applying a known stress to a material and measuring the resulting strains or deformations.

4. What is the significance of different stress tensor components?

The different stress tensor components represent the different types of stress that a material may experience. Normal stresses represent the force per unit area acting perpendicular to a surface, while shear stresses represent the force per unit area acting parallel to a surface. Understanding the values and distribution of these components can help predict how a material will behave under different loading conditions.

5. How does a stress tensor relate to the mechanical properties of a material?

The stress tensor is directly related to the mechanical properties of a material, such as its stiffness, strength, and ductility. By analyzing the stress tensor components, engineers and scientists can determine the ability of a material to resist deformation and failure under different loading conditions.