Understanding Stress Transfer in Pin-Tied Stone and Wall Interfaces

• B
  • Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, The conversation discusses the stress transfer from a pin tied to a string carrying a stone in a wall to the interface between the stone and the wall. The method used to model the transfer function is also questioned. The conversation further delves into the effects of gluing the stone and wall together with epoxy and how it affects the tension in the string and the overall stress transfer. The possibility of using a thick steel cable instead of a string is also mentioned and its potential impact on the analysis.
new6ton
If you have a pin tied to a string carrying a stone in the wall. And you put epoxy to the stone and wall attaching them. How is the stress transferred from the pin to the interface between stone and wall? What method is used to model the transfer function?

Physics news on Phys.org
new6ton said:
How is the stress transferred from the pin to the interface between stone and wall?
They have a heartfelt conversation, expressing their feelings to one another.

J/K. You really need to attach a sketch of this situation, and show your FBD please. Thanks. :smile:

string_block.jpg

Imagine you put glue between block and wall. As the glue hardens, how do you model the string tension slowly diminishing and the weight or tension transferred to the glue? Or what is the best technical language to describe it?

new6ton said:
View attachment 249829

Imagine you put glue between block and wall. As the glue hardens, how do you model the string tension slowly diminishing and the weight or tension transferred to the glue? Or what is the best technical language to describe it?

In the analysis. Let us treat the string as fixed and not flexible. This is because when you glue the block and it got stuck to the wall with the string in tension. It would remain in tension (imagine a rubber band). So treat it as string made of iron (or something which doesn't stretch like a chain). Now I want to know what happens when the glue/epoxy hardens slowly. Does the string slowly lose weight it supporting in proportional to how the glue hardens? How is the stress transfer function of such dynamics?

new6ton said:
In the analysis. Let us treat the string as fixed and not flexible. This is because when you glue the block and it got stuck to the wall with the string in tension. It would remain in tension (imagine a rubber band). So treat it as string made of iron (or something which doesn't stretch like a chain). Now I want to know what happens when the glue/epoxy hardens slowly. Does the string slowly lose weight it supporting in proportional to how the glue hardens? How is the stress transfer function of such dynamics?
Stated like that, the answer is No. Why would it? The position of the mass does not change during the hardening of the glue.

berkeman said:
Stated like that, the answer is No. Why would it? The position of the mass does not change during the hardening of the glue.

But when the glue hardens. The block is stuck to the wall and no longer has weight to the string. So why would the string still feel weight, it's like the block is weightless already because it is fully epoxied to the wall.

new6ton said:
But when the glue hardens. The block is stuck to the wall and no longer has weight to the string. So why would the string still feel weight, it's like the block is weightless already because it is fully epoxied to the wall.
The weight stretched the string and the string is still stretched, so it still has tension in it.

If you think of the epoxy as supporting the weight of the mass then you have to ask why the string is stretched. The weight isn't stretching it any more, so what is? The answer is that the epoxy is not permitting it to shorten. The force required to keep it stretched is equal to the weight of the mass - so in total the force on the epoxy is zero.

It seems easier to say that gluing the epoxy to the wall changes nothing. But I don't think it's wrong to say that the epoxy is both supporting the weight and stretching the string, and that the two forces are equal and opposite.

Ibix said:
The weight stretched the string and the string is still stretched, so it still has tension in it.

If you think of the epoxy as supporting the weight of the mass then you have to ask why the string is stretched. The weight isn't stretching it any more, so what is? The answer is that the epoxy is not permitting it to shorten. The force required to keep it stretched is equal to the weight of the mass - so in total the force on the epoxy is zero.

It seems easier to say that gluing the epoxy to the wall changes nothing. But I don't think it's wrong to say that the epoxy is both supporting the weight and stretching the string, and that the two forces are equal and opposite.

How would it change the analysis if the string is a thick steel cable?

new6ton said:
How would it change the analysis if the string is a thick steel cable?
I would replace each instance of the word "string" in my post with the words "thick steel cable".

Ibix said:
I would replace each instance of the word "string" in my post with the words "thick steel cable".

Are you saying there would be same stress in the steel cable only the capacity is much more?

new6ton said:
Are you saying there would be same stress in the steel cable only the capacity is much more?
Stress is a force per unit area. The force (the weight of the mass) would be the same for the string or the cable (neglecting the weight of the string/cable), but if your cable is "thick" then the area would be much larger than that of the string and the stress would be much lower. If the cable had the same cross-sectional area as the string then the stress would be the same, yes.

The strain (the extension divided by the natural length) of the cable would probably be much lower than that of the string because the cable has more tensile strength. But that strength is not infinite, so the cable would stretch very slightly and my analysis in post #7 remains the same.

Likes new6ton
new6ton said:
And the amount by which the cable stretches when supporting a given weight is correspondingly less.

Likes new6ton
Ibix said:
Stress is a force per unit area. The force (the weight of the mass) would be the same for the string or the cable (neglecting the weight of the string/cable), but if your cable is "thick" then the area would be much larger than that of the string and the stress would be much lower. If the cable had the same cross-sectional area as the string then the stress would be the same, yes.

The strain (the extension divided by the natural length) of the cable would probably be much lower than that of the string because the cable has more tensile strength. But that strength is not infinite, so the cable would stretch very slightly and my analysis in post #7 remains the same.

Imagine you are carrying a person with a rope over the bridge with your arms. Then a boat passed by and the person is glued to side of the yacht. You can no longer feel the weight. I guess this occurs when you lower your arms. But if your don't lower your arms, then the weight is the same even if the person is glued to the side of the yacht?

new6ton said:
Imagine you are carrying a person with a rope over the bridge with your arms. Then a boat passed by and the person is glued to side of the yacht. You can no longer feel the weight. I guess this occurs when you lower your arms. But if your don't lower your arms, then the weight is the same even if the person is glued to the side of the yacht?
This is the same scenario as above, with added complexity in the form of a potentially moving boat and human muscle power instead of a static rigid system. In principle the answer is the same; in practice there are a lot of uncontrolled factors that might well mask that. Why are you asking?

Likes new6ton
Ibix said:
This is the same scenario as above, with added complexity in the form of a potentially moving boat and human muscle power instead of a static rigid system. In principle the answer is the same; in practice there are a lot of uncontrolled factors that might well mask that. Why are you asking?

I have some paintings each hanging on string on a nail. I thought by gluing the paintings frame to the wall, it can relieve some stress in the nail. So it can't. So need to replace the strings and nail. Lol.

new6ton said:
I thought by gluing the paintings frame to the wall, it can relieve some stress in the nail. So it can't. So need to replace the strings and nail.
Gluing picture frames to the wall was your preferred solution compared to replacing the string and nail?

A.T. said:
Gluing picture frames to the wall was your preferred solution compared to replacing the string and nail?

Because the nail is a special screw and vintage and it would damage the concrete if it would be pulled out and replaced. But since glueing the painting frame at the lower side only and partially won't make the wall screw and screw share the load. Then will just pull out the vintage/screw nail and fix the wall.

new6ton said:
I have some paintings each hanging on string on a nail. I thought by gluing the paintings frame to the wall, it can relieve some stress in the nail. So it can't. So need to replace the strings and nail. Lol.
Ah - if that’s what you’re trying to do, you’ve been asking the wrong question all along.

In fact, gluing the frame to the wall will do exactly what you want (provided that the adhesive is strong and stable enough to hold the picture)... even though it will not reduce the stress on the nail. If the nail/wall connection does fail, the glue will stop the picture from moving down far enough to rip the nail out of the wall.

Nugatory said:
Ah - if that’s what you’re trying to do, you’ve been asking the wrong question all along.

In fact, gluing the frame to the wall will do exactly what you want (provided that the adhesive is strong and stable enough to hold the picture)... even though it will not reduce the stress on the nail. If the nail/wall connection does fail, the glue will stop the picture from moving down far enough to rip the nail out of the wall.

You mean the slightly failed nail/wall connection sharing half of the load and the epoxy to wall sharing half the load. This was why I was asking what kind of model to describe this stress transfer between them so can compute how to use minimal epoxy for stress and load sharing. This is for academic understanding and opportunity to know the principles involved.

1. What is stress transfer in pin-tied stone and wall interfaces?

Stress transfer refers to the transfer of forces between two materials that are in contact with each other. In the case of pin-tied stone and wall interfaces, it is the transfer of forces between the stone and the wall through the pins that connect them.

2. Why is understanding stress transfer important in this context?

Understanding stress transfer is crucial in order to ensure the stability and integrity of the structure. If the forces are not properly transferred between the stone and the wall, it can lead to structural failure and potential hazards.

3. What factors affect stress transfer in pin-tied stone and wall interfaces?

Some of the factors that can influence stress transfer in this context include the material properties of the stone and the wall, the size and shape of the pins, the angle and direction of the applied forces, and the overall design and construction of the structure.

4. How can stress transfer be analyzed and measured in pin-tied stone and wall interfaces?

There are various methods for analyzing and measuring stress transfer in this context, including experimental tests, analytical calculations, and numerical simulations. These methods can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the structure and help identify potential issues.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding stress transfer in pin-tied stone and wall interfaces?

The knowledge gained from understanding stress transfer can be applied in the design and construction of various structures, such as historical buildings, retaining walls, and bridges. It can also be used to assess the safety and stability of existing structures and inform maintenance and repair strategies.