Interpreting Stress-Strain Graph: Which Material Has the Highest Ductility?

In summary, the conversation discusses interpreting a graph to determine the properties of different materials. It is concluded that material B has the highest toughness, material C has the highest ductility, and material A is likely brittle. The answers to the multiple choice questions are option c for 1a and option d for 1b.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See full question below
Relevant Equations
None
This is a quick multiple choice question in which I need to interpret the graph and see which statement is true

Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 20.43.18.png

This is what I have found from looking at the graph

I know that strength is determined by the maximum stress a material can withstand in its elastic region.

And toughness is the ability of a material to absorb a certain energy before complete rupture, I know this property can be relatively measured by the area under the whole curve.

In 1a, option a) Material A does have high strength but clearly material B is more tougher than material C as material B occupies a larger area beneath its curve than material C before rupture.

Hence cannot be option a
Also cannot be option b either as material A is NOT low in strength
Again not option d too as material B is certainly not low in toughness, in fact it is the toughest material there?

So my answer for 1a) leaves with option c to be the one. That is my reasoningMoving to 1b now, it now brings in ductility. From what I understand about ductility is that it is defined as the degree of elongation before complete rupture.

So looking at the graph again, I can conclude that material C has high ductility?
Material A is most likely brittle or in other words less ductile.

Can't be option a, as material A is not high ductility
Can't be option b, as material B is not low toughness
And finally can't be option c too as material B does not have low ductility, material A does

So this leaves me with option d as the answer.

I'm feeling very confused with these mcq's as I don't believe my reasoning is right.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning sounds good to me. I agree.

Likes Bolter

1. What is a stress-strain graph?

A stress-strain graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between stress and strain in a material. It shows how a material responds to applied forces and how it deforms under stress.

2. How do you interpret a stress-strain graph?

To interpret a stress-strain graph, you need to look at the slope of the graph. The slope represents the material's stiffness or resistance to deformation. The steeper the slope, the stiffer the material. You should also look at the point of failure, which is where the material breaks or fractures. This can indicate the material's strength.

3. What does ductility mean?

Ductility is a measure of a material's ability to deform under stress without breaking. A material with high ductility can be stretched or bent without breaking, while a material with low ductility will break or fracture under stress.

4. How can you determine which material has the highest ductility from a stress-strain graph?

The material with the highest ductility will have the longest strain curve on the stress-strain graph. This means that it can withstand the most stress before breaking and has the highest ability to deform without breaking.

5. What other factors should be considered when comparing materials based on their stress-strain graphs?

In addition to ductility, other factors to consider when comparing materials based on their stress-strain graphs include stiffness, strength, and toughness. Stiffness refers to the material's resistance to deformation, strength refers to its ability to withstand stress, and toughness is a measure of its ability to absorb energy before breaking.