1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stressed-out girl needs help w/ physics

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    Hello, I need help on this problem...

A car is traveling at a constant speed of 18.0 m/s, when the motorist sees a cow in the road 38.0 m ahead. If the maximum acceleration of the vehicle is -4.50 m/s^2, what is the maximum reaction time fo the motorist that will allow her to avoid hitting the cow?

I have tried many different ways. I was thinking you would use an integral from 0 to x because you want to find the maximum reaction time. The equation I thought to integrate was -38+18t+.5(-4.5)t^2 which, of course, was wrong. Please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2
    The motorist must stop within a time of 38/18, since this is how long it will take her to cover 38 meters. The minimum time it will take her to stop occurs when she deaccelerates at a constant -4.50 until the car stops. The maximum reaction time will be the difference of these two times. Using your numbers, I find that her minimum stop time exceeds the time she is allotted (38/18). Are you sure all the values are correct?
  4. Sep 13, 2004 #3
    All my values are correct, but i thought you would integrate it or something, the answers our teacher gave us to choose from were .0251, .111, .360, .521, .684. i thought you would just plug those numbers in. I am not really sure.
  5. Sep 13, 2004 #4
    I believe my method is correct and see no reason for integration (assuming you already have the derived basic kinematic equations). I suspect one of your given values is incorrect. It's possible the teacher may have made a mistake for one of the numbers.
  6. Sep 13, 2004 #5
    If the car decelerates uniformly from 18.0 ms^-2 to 0 ms^-2 it will cover a distance of [itex]\Delta x=\frac{v^2 - u^2}{2a}[/itex] or 36 m. That means the car may travel an allowable distance of 2 m before the driver hits the brakes. Therefore, at a velocity of 18 ms^-1, the allowable reaction time is 0.111 s.
  7. Sep 13, 2004 #6
    thank you, but i figured it out already, it just took me some time, i truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart that you would take your time to help me. thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?