1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stresses and neutral axis

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    Hey guys,

A picture of the question is attached, I am not seeking answers just an explanation of some theory.

Now I understand that

point A will be under compression due to the weight, tension due to the bending and shear due to torque produced by the wind

point b will be under compression due to weight, tension due to bending (but different tension to point A because of the different moment) and shear due to torque produced by the wind

point C will be under compression due to weight and compression due to bending and shear due to torque produced by the wind

Now when applying the bending stress equation (MY/I) wouldn't either point B and C together or point A on its own lie on the neutral axis? And hence the bending stress would be zero Or would Y (distance from the neutral axis) always be 50mm?

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5238/1233333333.th.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

VooDoo: If the top edge of the sign is parallel to the y axis, and the x axis is vertical, then points B and C lie on the neutral axis for moment My, and point A lies on the neutral axis for moment Mz.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. Mar 15, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If the wind is blowing into the sign (into the page/screen), the A will be under tension. The force would apply a torque about the axis through BC. If the wind blows out of the scree/page, then A would be under compression.

One has to look at the distance a point is from the axis of rotation, and the torque applied with respect to that axis.

The post and sign apply a downward load on the base. Torques apply a tension or compression depending on whether they rotate away from or toward a point.

The base is a cantilever joint.

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Annd don't forget the longitudinal shear from the wind load, maximum at the transverse neutral axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook