Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stresses on a Torus

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    I have been goven the task of finding all the stresses on a Torus (i.e. donut) Pressure vessel. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What have you done so far?

4. Apr 9, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain, Chapter 12, Table 28, Case 5 (at least in the 6th edition).

5. Apr 9, 2008 #4
    Careful Fred last time I referred someone here to a book I got yanked and got a warning as "not contributing to the discussion"

Personally I believe showing people what literature can be consulted is very helpful do!

6. Apr 10, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I went back and checked the warning -- it was for a little different situation. Fred's reference is very specific, but your advice in the other post was to buy a Schaum's outline.

7. Apr 10, 2008 #6
    Yes because people were about to spend 100+ man hours on something that you can seriously buy for $5,-

I don't want to be a nag but the exact response was:

"Almost every single questions being asked on here, one can tell someone to go get such-and-such book. It solves nothing. Your response to someone asking a question is essentially telling that person to go get a book. That response has no substance to a discussion forum such as this. If you don't care to explain, don't respond."

So I don't see how that is different. Anyway I was kinda kidding in the first place to Fred because his advise is usually spot on.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  8. Apr 11, 2008 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I honestly do try to not do a reference like that when I can. I do debate with myself as to whether or not they are getting spoon fed. However, for a situation like this, the number of posts and time to walk the OP through the mechanics for this loading would be pretty extensive. That's why I just came out and told him where to look. I think there are times where pointing a person to a source is a much more efficient use of our time and bandwidth.

9. Apr 11, 2008 #8
    I agree!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?