Why do clocks tick slower and faster in different depths of gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of time dilation in clocks when in a deeper depth of gravity. It is mentioned that clocks with springs, etc. are usually squashed and tick slower, while pendulum clocks experience stretch and tick faster. It is also noted that this is not the case for clocks in free fall and that the difference between conventional and pendulum clocks is still of interest.
gonegahgah
Something just occurred to me today.

I've puzzled for some time why it is that normal clocks tick slower when in a deeper depth of gravity but that pendulum clocks do the opposite and actually tick faster when in a deeper depth of gravity.
Can time tick slower and faster?

I believe I now see a fundamental difference between the two clocks.
Ordinary clocks with springs, etc. are usually squashed when in a deeper depth of gravity whereas pendulum clocks are actually experiencing stretch because they rely on hanging pendulums.

So my generalisation would be that squashed clocks tick slower and stretched clocks tick faster as an observation.
Certainly a pendulum clock in free fall won't tick at all.

Of course that is not what experimental evidence of planes flying around the Earth and vibrating cesium atoms tell us does it?

But none-the-less the difference between the apparent relative time of conventional clocks and pendulum clocks does interest me still. I wonder why the difference is?

Physics news on Phys.org
gonegahgah said:
I've puzzled for some time why it is that normal clocks tick slower when in a deeper depth of gravity but that pendulum clocks do the opposite and actually tick faster when in a deeper depth of gravity.
That is not correct. I think you are confusing gravitational field (acceleration) with gravitational potential. All clocks run slower at a lower gravitational potential (time dilation). In addition a pendulum clock runs faster in a stronger gravitational field. The two effects are distinct.

Kool. Thanks. I knew there would be a distinction.

1. What are stretched and compressed clocks?

Stretched and compressed clocks refer to the phenomenon of time being experienced at different rates depending on the velocity and gravitational field of the observer. This is a concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does velocity affect the rate of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time appears to slow down for an observer moving at high velocities. This is known as time dilation and has been verified through experiments with atomic clocks.

3. Can gravity also affect the rate of time?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity can also affect the rate of time. Objects in a stronger gravitational field experience time at a slower rate compared to objects in a weaker gravitational field.

4. Are stretched and compressed clocks just a theoretical concept?

No, this phenomenon has been observed and measured in experiments with atomic clocks. GPS satellites, for example, have to account for time dilation due to their high velocity and distance from Earth's gravitational field.

5. How does the concept of stretched and compressed clocks impact our understanding of time?

The concept of stretched and compressed clocks challenges our traditional understanding of time as a constant and universal concept. It highlights the interconnectedness of space and time and the relativity of time based on the observer's frame of reference.