1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stretched Spring

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring with 58 hangs vertically next to a ruler. The end of the spring is next to the 15- mark on the ruler. If a 2.0- mass is now attached to the end of the spring, where will the end of the spring line up with the ruler marks?

2. Relevant equations

I used F=KX should it be mgy=kx? or mgy=1/2kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution

My solution was 32 centimeters and 34 centimeters and those were both wrong. Must use two sig figs.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

With F=-kx you can know k by the original measurement - assuming that 0 is the 0 force point. This implies that each unit represents 58*g/15 units of force. Adding another 2*g units of force means that you will get an additional 2*g*15/58*g units. This suggest then it will lengthen to 15+(30/58) units.

I'm curious where you got cm out of your description. Or is there a picture you aren't sharing and other units you haven't mentioned?
  4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    oh the ruler was 15 cm
  5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
    sorry i guess my copy paste didnt work. The 58 is 58 N/m and is the K and it hangs next to a spring that is next to a ruler at 15 cm. If you add 2 kg to it what is the new measured distance?
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

I still have no idea where the origin is. But 2 kg will move it 2*9.8/58 m.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?