Solve Stretched Spring Homework: Find End of Spring on Ruler

• Thread starter 12boone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: This is 0.3386 cm and you will add this to 15 cm to get the new distance. In summary, a 58 N/m spring hangs vertically next to a ruler at the 15 cm mark. When a 2 kg mass is added, the end of the spring will be 15.3386 cm from the origin.
12boone

Homework Statement

A spring with 58 hangs vertically next to a ruler. The end of the spring is next to the 15- mark on the ruler. If a 2.0- mass is now attached to the end of the spring, where will the end of the spring line up with the ruler marks?

Homework Equations

I used F=KX should it be mgy=kx? or mgy=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was 32 centimeters and 34 centimeters and those were both wrong. Must use two sig figs.

Physics news on Phys.org
12boone said:

Homework Statement

A spring with 58 hangs vertically next to a ruler. The end of the spring is next to the 15- mark on the ruler. If a 2.0- mass is now attached to the end of the spring, where will the end of the spring line up with the ruler marks?

Homework Equations

I used F=KX should it be mgy=kx? or mgy=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was 32 centimeters and 34 centimeters and those were both wrong. Must use two sig figs.

With F=-kx you can know k by the original measurement - assuming that 0 is the 0 force point. This implies that each unit represents 58*g/15 units of force. Adding another 2*g units of force means that you will get an additional 2*g*15/58*g units. This suggest then it will lengthen to 15+(30/58) units.

I'm curious where you got cm out of your description. Or is there a picture you aren't sharing and other units you haven't mentioned?

oh the ruler was 15 cm

sorry i guess my copy paste didnt work. The 58 is 58 N/m and is the K and it hangs next to a spring that is next to a ruler at 15 cm. If you add 2 kg to it what is the new measured distance?

12boone said:
sorry i guess my copy paste didnt work. The 58 is 58 N/m and is the K and it hangs next to a spring that is next to a ruler at 15 cm. If you add 2 kg to it what is the new measured distance?

I still have no idea where the origin is. But 2 kg will move it 2*9.8/58 m.

1. How do I determine the end of a stretched spring using a ruler?

To find the end of a stretched spring using a ruler, you will need to measure the length of the spring when it is relaxed and when it is stretched. Then, you can subtract the relaxed length from the stretched length to determine the amount of stretch. Finally, use this measurement to locate the end of the spring on the ruler.

2. What is the formula for calculating the end of a stretched spring?

The formula for determining the end of a stretched spring is: end of spring = relaxed length + stretch length. This means that you will need to add the relaxed length of the spring to the amount of stretch in order to find the end of the spring on the ruler.

3. Can I use any ruler to find the end of a stretched spring?

Yes, you can use any ruler as long as it has accurate markings for measuring length. You may also want to use a ruler with a smaller unit of measurement, such as millimeters, for more precise results.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the end of a stretched spring?

The accuracy of finding the end of a stretched spring can be affected by factors such as the precision of the ruler, the accuracy of the measurements, and any external forces that may be acting on the spring. Temperature and humidity can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of finding the end of a stretched spring?

To improve the accuracy of finding the end of a stretched spring, you can use a ruler with smaller units of measurement, take multiple measurements and calculate the average, and minimize any external factors that may affect the measurement. It is also helpful to have a steady hand and make sure the spring is fully stretched when taking measurements.