Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Stretching post profiles

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The "problem" has been temporarily solved.

Zz.

4. Jul 22, 2011 #3

rhody

Gold Member

ryan,

Your take, a form of protest ? My impression: yes...

Rhody...

5. Jul 22, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

:confused:

6. Jul 22, 2011 #5

rhody

Gold Member

Why would someone add extra extraneous information to their profile in the first place ? If I wanted to be a wiseguy and make a "silent form of protest", I might "doctor" my profile with extra stuff (not invalid, but not necessary either).

Rhody...

7. Jul 22, 2011 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like it was not the total amount of information, but rather that a lot of the information was typed without any space characters. This forced half of the info to be all on a single line, making the member profile field unusually wide:

8. Jul 22, 2011 #7

Evo

Still, the most recent degree or the degree that you actually work in is sufficient. I do not work in the field in which I got my degree. My company invented things, so they continuously had me in their own private university (they had a huge campus with apartments and the best restaurant in the world) because no one could teach it because it was just invented. It was AT&T Bell Labs during the 70's and 80's, incredible times. Now, I'm into gardening.

9. Jul 22, 2011 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agreed. Or go with highest degree attained.

"English,Latin,philosophy/psychology,..dissertations in Phonetics,Psychoanalysis applied to literatur" just reeks of, uh -- well, it reeks

[URL]http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5445187/2/istockphoto_5445187-it-stinks.jpg​
    [/URL]

10. Jul 22, 2011 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe your degree should read "Gardening Physics". :biggrin:

11. Jul 23, 2011 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I think the degree should show what you want to communicate to other members.
    Probably it should show what people can expect you to be knowledgeable about and where your affinities are.
    If you have expertise in different fields, even if you're not currently active in it, that is useful information to know for other posters.

I don't think it's very useful if it's a long list of titles, subjects, incomprehensible abbreviations, or otherwise irrelevant information (such as in the case at hand which includes typos and bad formatting).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook