Why Put Force on Springs Before Setting Zero Extension?

• Thread starter Mark Neilan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, the speaker is doing a physics coursework involving stretching springs and calculating spring constants. As part of the mark scheme, they need to research the theory behind the results. They were advised to put a 50g hanger on the spring and let it stretch slightly, setting this as zero extension. The speaker has searched for the reason behind this, but has had difficulty finding specific information. They are looking for any good sources on the subject. They also mention considering the attachment of the spring and how they are measuring extension and load. Ultimately, the speaker received help from a friend.
Mark Neilan
Hey,
I am doing coursework for physics (AS level a bit like high school in US) in which we stretched springs in a variety of ways and gathered data and calculated spring constants. As part of the mark scheme i should do extra research into the theory behind the results. It was suggested that I find out why when doing the experiment it was best to put on the 50g hanger and let the spring stretch a little and put this as zero extension. I searched a lot for the answer but it is hard to get such specific information out of a search engine.
Does anybody know why some force is put on and then it is set as zero? I guess it acts differently when completely coiled up and takes a bit to enter the elastic limit. Does anybody know of any good sites or even books on the subject (i don't want to go too deep of course as its just a bit on the side for extra marks)?
Thanks very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Things to think about:

How is your spring attached at the ends?
How are you measuring your extension and load?

OK thanks for the help. I got some help from a friend as well.

1. Why is it important to put force on springs before setting zero extension?

It is important to put force on springs before setting zero extension because this allows the spring to settle into its natural equilibrium position. This ensures that the spring is not under any additional stress or strain, which could affect the accuracy of any measurements taken.

2. What happens if force is not applied to the spring before setting zero extension?

If force is not applied to the spring before setting zero extension, the spring may still be under tension or compression from previous use. This can result in inaccurate measurements as the spring will not be at its natural equilibrium position.

3. How much force should be applied to the spring before setting zero extension?

The amount of force applied to the spring should be enough to fully extend or compress the spring. This ensures that the spring is completely relaxed and can settle into its natural equilibrium position. The exact amount of force required may vary depending on the specific spring and its properties.

4. Can setting zero extension without applying force affect the accuracy of the spring?

Yes, setting zero extension without applying force can definitely affect the accuracy of the spring. This is because the spring may still be under tension or compression, leading to inaccurate measurements. It is important to always apply force to the spring before setting zero extension to ensure accurate results.

5. Is it necessary to put force on springs before setting zero extension for all types of springs?

Yes, it is necessary to put force on springs before setting zero extension for all types of springs. This includes both linear and non-linear springs. Regardless of the type of spring, it is important to allow it to settle into its natural equilibrium position before taking any measurements.