Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strict local minimizer (multivariate)

1. Oct 19, 2004 #1
    I'm stuck on this question

Show that f(x1,x2) has a strict local minimizer at t=0 along every line

{ x1=at
    { x2=bt

through (0,0).

Any hints or tips would be great thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What exactly do you mean by "minimizer"? I'm not familiar with that term.

At first I thought you meant "minimum" but in that case the theorem is not true.

Suppose f(x,y)= (x-1)2+ (y-1)2.

Saying that f has a strict local minimum at t= 0 on x= at, y= bt would simply mean that f has a strict local minimum at (0,0) but that is not true- the only minimum of f is at (1,1).

4. Oct 20, 2004 #3
    The minimizer is the point t where the minimum is. THat's why I'm a bit confused with the question. The wording I was given in my book is a bit awkward.

I think what it means is. For every f(x1,x2) given that x1 and x2 are lines.

There is a minimum at t=0

Those that make sense?

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No! In particular, the sentence "For every f(x1,x2) given that x1 and x2 are lines." makes no sense at all. x1, x2 are variables that I presume are numbers, not lines.

Aren't there some conditions on the function f(x1, x2)? The statement is certainly NOT true for general f.

6. Oct 21, 2004 #5
    I think you're right. The wording of the question is not very good. A strict local minimizer is in fact the same as a strict local minimum.

I geuss I'll have to ask the prof

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?