New Puppy: Strider, a 5-Week-Old Mix

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
In summary: I was worried about that too, but it sounds like he's doing well so far.In summary, Strider is a black Lab/blue heeler mix pup who is 5 weeks old and is already shedding and potty training. He is friendly and playful, but has a bit of trouble with authority. He is already a good friend to FoxyLady, and is getting along well with her other dogs.

hypatia said:
My puppy sitter says the pups keep him busy all day, yet the neighbor showed me the real truth.
randypups1003.jpg
:biggrin: I just saw this picture and it is soooo cute how they are all sleeping. He really had grown up to be one big dog!

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, he is 47 pounds, but still thinks he is a little lap puppy.

hypatia said:
Wow! He grew fast!

hypatia said:
My parents have a big polar dog, I forgot the exact breed but it's the same as the one in the attached picture. She is already several years old, but sometimes she also likes to lie on someone's lap. Of course she is way too big, so she will take up the larger part of the couch with her body, she doesn't regard that as a problem :biggrin:

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 354

Monique said:
My parents have a big polar dog, I forgot the exact breed but it's the same as the one in the attached picture. She is already several years old, but sometimes she also likes to lie on someone's lap. Of course she is way too big, so she will take up the larger part of the couch with her body, she doesn't regard that as a problem :biggrin:
Looks like a Samoyed, Monique. My cousin had one, and he was really cuddly. Of course, it seemed like he was shedding constantly, so you'd go home with while hairs all over.

They do have a Samoyed, but I am confused because the pictures on the internet don't match. The following dog is also called a Samoyed

250px-Samoyed_600.jpg

and my parents have such a dog as well and they sure are not the same breed. [Edit: Maybe that's a Samoyed pup? My parents also have an American Eskimo dog, which looks identical to the picture]

The Eskimo dog is about lower-knee hight, the Samoyed is at least double the height. People often think the bigger dog is the mother of the smaller dog, while the smaller dog is two years older.

They do are very cuddly and attention seekers, she'll come up and push your hand with her nose because she wants to be petted. And if you don't do it right, she'll use her paws to make clear that you need to do it more convincingly. I do get home covered with white hairs :biggrin:

Last edited:

They do grow fast. We tend to forget. I've never been away for more than a couple of hours since we got Freija. Now I started doing some bar work she appaerntly tries to climb on my mothers knee and is very clingy.

Strider sort of launches himself on you, without warning or a invite, bam there he is! Monique, that is a beautiful dog.

Hy, if you haven't already tried slices of raw carrots on Strider, give it a shot. They're chewy, good for the teeth, and loaded with fiber, and Duke loves them. We had a good crop of carrots this year, and carrots stay pretty cheap all winter, so it's a good way to get healthy snacks into your dog. He also loves tomatoes, which may bode ill for our garden, since he likes the green almost as much as the red ones.

Seeing a baby dog like Strider makes me want one. And seeing what a handsome fellow he's growing into, makes me want one even more.

And that napping photo is the best, ever, hypatia.

He really is a very clever boy, already knows most of his commands, like sit, lay down, stay and of course shake a paw. I've started work on the "No Launching", but my hubby keeps laughing at the behavior. That does not seem to help.