Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Strike out

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1

sylas

Science Advisor

Would it be possible to add a "strike" tag to formatting tags?

I would like to strike out text; put a line through it. That way, if I find a typo an hour after posting, I can fix it with a strike out and replace, so that people can see what was there originally; particularly if I fix up a typo after people have been reading.

I just had a case where I had to replace "upper bound" with "lower bound". In a case like that, I would normally add strike out around "upper", and then add the correct word.

Cheers -- sylas

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That seems like a good idea. It can be confusing if someone has edited a post but there are subsequent posts referring to the original content that I've never seen.

4. Aug 16, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it would be a good idea too. Sometimes there's something that needs editing, but someone has already replied, but you also don't want the correction buried in another post. It could be useful for other things too, like students showing their homework, especially with the more elementary subjects where it's helpful if they can show cross outs of units or variables they are canceling out while solving a problem.

Of course, keep in mind that if you do need to edit a post, you can write a comment about why you've edited that everyone can see, so without a strike out option, you can still leave a note about what you've changed.

5. Aug 16, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sounds like a good idea, and is far better than just editting the post.

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5

Mk

This is a very easy feature to add in a system that uses BBCode. The [ /s] tags would work well. :smile:

7. Sep 3, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook