What is the minimum time at a given angle on a cone with constant size?

In summary: No, I used only $$\frac{h}{sin(\alpha+\varphi/2)}=\frac{\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}cos\alpha }{sin(\varphi/2) }.$$Can you please post the equation for ##x(t)##?
bowes78
Homework Statement
A hollow cone is placed on the ground like shown in example. Inside a cone there is string attached to base center. In the string there is a small bead. What must the angle between string and vertical be, so bead reaches cone surface fastest? (You can stretch the string). Cone base is parallel to the ground and cone has angle φ. String frictionless.
Relevant Equations
kinematic eqs
trig identites
I tried to come up with expression of time in terms of φ, α, and some constant value of cone size that does not depend on angle (I used R as cone radius). I though I could use that expression to see at what angle time is going to minimum, but I came up with expression from which I can't make a conclusion. I believe there is another solution method, or maybe there are some useful trig identities, but I was unable to find it.
Can someone help me out? Thanks

Angle φ is marked badly at my solution, but that doesn't change anything in particular.
newimage(3).jpg

Attachments

• newimage(1).jpg
    newimage(1).jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 44
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the angle you call ##\varphi## is half the angle given as ##\varphi## in the diagram.

My first approach would be to use the law of sines for the triangle that has angles ##\alpha##, ##\varphi/2## and ##\pi-(\alpha+\varphi/2).## Then minimize ##t^2## with respect to ##\alpha.##

Likes SammyS
kuruman said:
Note that the angle you call ##\varphi## is half the angle given as ##\varphi## in the diagram.

My first approach would be to use the law of sines for the triangle that has angles ##\alpha##, ##\varphi/2## and ##\pi-(\alpha+\varphi/2).## Then minimize ##t^2## with respect to ##\alpha.##
So I get t^2=(2 a sin(φ/2))/(g cosα sin(φ/2+α)), a is length OC. How can I minimize it to find value of α?

bowes78 said:
So I get t^2=(2 a sin(φ/2))/(g cosα sin(φ/2+α)), a is length OC. How can I minimize it to find value of α?
How do you usually find a minimum of a function wrt its independent variable?

haruspex said:
How do you usually find a minimum of a function wrt its independent variable?
So after differentiation with respect to α, setting t=0, I get α=90-(φ/2). Could this be the answer?

bowes78 said:
So after differentiation with respect to α, setting t=0, I get α=90-(φ/2). Could this be the answer?
Consider what that looks like in your diagram. It would mean the string meets the cone at a right angle. It is easy to show that the answer must have the string meet the cone somewhat lower.
If you cannot find your error, please post your working.

haruspex said:
Consider what that looks like in your diagram. It would mean the string meets the cone at a right angle. It is easy to show that the answer must have the string meet the cone somewhat lower.
If you cannot find your error, please post your working.
Yes, previous solution had a mistake. This time I tried to do something like this, but that seems to me that it doesn't make sense too. Because if we set (φ/2)=0, then α=32, which doesn't look right.
IMG_20221216_162355.jpg

What about the work before what you posted? Specifically, what does ##a## stand for in the first equation giving ##t^2##?

kuruman said:
What about the work before what you posted? Specifically, what does ##a## stand for in the first equation giving ##t^2##?
I just picked there wrong trigonometry formulas, so I got wrong answer. As I mentioned before, a is length OC in the triangle. I needed that for law of sines.

The law of sines is always two equations. In this case is $$\frac{s}{\sin\alpha}
=\frac{\frac{1}{2}gt^2\cos\alpha}{\sin(\varphi/2)}
=\frac{h}{\sin(\alpha+\varphi/2)}.
$$
Did you use both? The first equation involving segment ##s## is needed to ensure that the point of intersection P is on the hypotenuse at time ##t##.

It's probably easier and more straightforward to write equations for the position of the bead, ##x(t)## and ##y(t),## find the intersection with the hypotenuse and then minimize.
StringSHortestTime.png

bowes78 said:
Yes, previous solution had a mistake. This time I tried to do something like this, but that seems to me that it doesn't make sense too. Because if we set (φ/2)=0, then α=32, which doesn't look right.
Not sure how you got the line following "=>". Please post the details of that step.
I assume you realise it is only necessary to maximise the denominator in the expression for ##t^2## since the numerator is constant.

kuruman said:
The law of sines is always two equations. In this case is $$\frac{s}{\sin\alpha}
=\frac{\frac{1}{2}gt^2\cos\alpha}{\sin(\varphi/2)}
=\frac{h}{\sin(\alpha+\varphi/2)}.
$$
Did you use both? The first equation involving segment ##s## is needed to ensure that the point of intersection P is on the hypotenuse at time ##t##.

It's probably easier and more straightforward to write equations for the position of the bead, ##x(t)## and ##x(t)## find the intersection with the hypotenuse and then minimize.
View attachment 318945
No, I used only $$\frac{h}{sin(\alpha+\varphi/2)}=\frac{\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}cos\alpha }{sin(\varphi/2) }.$$

I think I'm getting your idea, but how I should write ##x(t)## equation? I suppose that $$y(t)=\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}.$$
Or it should be like $$y(t)=\frac{1}{2}gcos^{2}\alpha t^{2} $$
$$x(t)=\frac{1}{2}gsin\alpha cos\alpha t^{2}$$
Because string length is $${\frac{1}{2}gcos\alpha}t^{2}$$

haruspex said:
Not sure how you got the line following "=>". Please post the details of that step.
I assume you realise it is only necessary to maximise the denominator in the expression for ##t^2## since the numerator is constant.
IMG_20221217_094227.jpg

haruspex said:
a and φ are constants, so what is the derivative of ##2a\sin(\phi/2)##?
I see... It should be zero, but whole equation then disappears.

bowes78 said:
I see... It should be zero, but whole equation then disappears.
Does it? What do you have left?

haruspex said:
Does it? What do you have left?
Well, should I solve it like that?
$$-gcos(2\alpha+\varphi /2)(2asin(\varphi/2))=0$$
$$cos(2\alpha+\varphi /2)=0$$
$$\alpha =\frac{90^{\circ}-\varphi /2 }{2}$$

bowes78 said:
Well, should I solve it like that?
$$-gcos(2\alpha+\varphi /2)(2asin(\varphi/2))=0$$
$$cos(2\alpha+\varphi /2)=0$$
$$\alpha =\frac{90^{\circ}-\varphi /2 }{2}$$
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.
Thanks!

1. What is the minimum time at a given angle on a cone with constant size?

The minimum time at a given angle on a cone with constant size is the shortest amount of time it takes for an object to travel from the top of the cone to the specified angle. This time is affected by factors such as the cone's size, the angle of inclination, and the object's initial velocity.

2. How is the minimum time calculated on a cone with constant size?

The minimum time on a cone with constant size is calculated using the principles of calculus and optimization. The problem can be formulated as finding the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, and the minimum time is determined by finding the optimal trajectory that minimizes the distance traveled.

3. Can the minimum time on a cone with constant size be less than zero?

No, the minimum time on a cone with constant size cannot be less than zero. This is because time is a physical quantity that cannot have negative values. The minimum time on a cone can approach zero, but it cannot be less than zero.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the minimum time on a cone with constant size?

The angle of inclination has a significant impact on the minimum time on a cone with constant size. As the angle increases, the minimum time also increases. This is because a steeper angle requires the object to travel a longer distance to reach the same point on the cone, resulting in a longer minimum time.

5. What other factors can affect the minimum time on a cone with constant size?

Aside from the cone's size and the angle of inclination, other factors that can affect the minimum time on a cone with constant size include air resistance, the mass and shape of the object, and the initial velocity of the object. These factors can alter the object's trajectory and ultimately impact the minimum time it takes to reach a given angle on the cone.