Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String Interactions

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1

Mk

There are two types of strings, closed and open, and they interact and stuff. How do these interactions affect matter or anything else?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2
    Well the two types of strings allow for different properties. Since the way strings viberate determine what properties the string will have; what fundamental particle it will become the way the string operates is very important onto the effects it will have. It was originally thought that most strings would be closed loop strings, but new string theories actually point out that strings are likely to be open with end points. These endpoints will be connected to a membrane and traped to our dimensions. (String theory requires extra 11 dimensions) However closed loops strings wouldn't be limited to our dimensions and would be free to travel into the higher dimensions. This is why the graviton is predicted to be a closed loop strings. If there is a graviton and it is a closed loop string then this would explain why gravity is so weak. It is weak because it only stays in our dimension for a very limited amount of time.

I hope this somewhat helped

4. Sep 6, 2004 #3

Mk

Oooh yes it did, I learned much, but how the strings interact was my question.

I read a string was about 100 billion billion times smaller than a proton, so would or would not that mean that particles are composed of more than one string?

Is only matter composed of string?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?