How Does String Tension Vary with Position in Vertical Circular Motion?

In summary, the ball swings up and down with a tension in the string that is different at the top and bottom of the vertical circle.
Kchu
A ball of mass m is attached to a string of length . It is being swung in a vertical circle with enough speed so that the string remains taut throughout the ball's motion. Assume that the ball travels freely in this vertical circle with negligible loss of total mechanical energy. To avoid confusion, take the upward direction to be positive throughout the problem. At the top and bottom of the vertical circle, label the ball's speeds V_t and V_b, and label the corresponding tensions in the string T_t and T_b

Find T_b-T_T, the difference between the tension in the string at the bottom relative to that at the top of the circle.

Express the difference in tension in terms of m and g

The tension in the bottom i got was

T_b=v_b^2/L*m+(m*g)

the tension in the top i got was

T_t=m(-v_t^2/L)-m*g

to relate these and the total mech i did
v_t^2 =v_b^2-4*g*L

and i solved and i got 4*m*g and it marked it wrong saying "Check the energy difference between top and bottom in your calculation." can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
T_t=m(-v_t^2/L)-m*g
This should be written as
T_t=m[(-v_t)^2/L]-m*g
T_b - T_t = [v_b^2/L*m+(m*g)] - [m(-v_t^2/L)-m*g]=(m/L)(v_b^2 - V_t^2) +2mg

Your equations were right but you solved them incorrectly, i think the correct answer is 6mg.

o man ! I have not solved the equations but indicated the mistakes and written the equation as the value of (v_b^2 - V_t^2) is already calculated by Kchu as 4gL, sbstituting this in equation you will get your answer.

1. What is the relationship between string tension and speed?

The tension of a string directly affects its speed of vibration. As tension increases, the string becomes stiffer and its speed of vibration increases. This is because more tension requires more force to change the shape of the string, resulting in a faster vibration.

2. How does the thickness of a string affect its speed and tension?

Thicker strings have a higher tension and slower speed compared to thinner strings. This is because thicker strings require more force to change shape, resulting in a slower vibration. However, thicker strings also produce a louder sound due to the increased tension.

3. Can string tension be adjusted to change the speed of a string?

Yes, string tension can be adjusted by either tightening or loosening the string. Tightening the string increases tension and results in a faster string speed, while loosening the string decreases tension and results in a slower speed.

4. How does temperature affect string tension and speed?

Temperature can affect string tension and speed by causing the string to expand or contract. Higher temperatures can cause strings to expand, resulting in decreased tension and slower speed. Lower temperatures can cause strings to contract, resulting in increased tension and faster speed.

5. Why is it important to consider string tension and speed in musical instruments?

String tension and speed are important factors to consider in musical instruments because they directly impact the sound produced. Different levels of tension and speed can result in variations in pitch, volume, and tone, ultimately affecting the overall quality of the sound produced by the instrument.