1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String tension problem

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A guitarist has a problem that the E-string (330Hz) often breaks when tuning it. The string is made of Copper and it has a diameter of 0.3mm. After some quick calculations based on the length of the guitar neck we can determine that the wave velocity is 530m/s

It is known that string on musical instruments often break if the tension exceeds 2% what advice would you give the guitarist to avoid breaking the strings?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure what to calculate using youngs modulus.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been battling this problem for some time and I'm not sure exactly what the "answer" should be. I have approached it the following way.

first I calculated the wave length
    λ=v/f, λ=530/330, λ=1.6m

I then know that the length of the string is
    L=λ/2, L=0.8m

since I know the length and diameter of the wire i looked up the density and calculated the mass of the string according to the following calculation
    m=A*L*ρ

m= (∏*0.00015*0.00015)*0.8*8900
    m=5.03E-4 kg

I then calculated the linear mass density according to formula μ= 5.03E-4 /0.8
    μ=6.29E-4 kg/m

finally I can calculate the string tension
    F=v2
    F=530*530*6.29E-4 = 177N

So now I know that the string tension is 177N. I'm not sure exactly what to do with it.
    my prof gave me the tip to use youngs modulus.
    I looked up youngs modulus for Cu to be 120GPa.

The equation looks like Y = (F/A)/(ΔL/L)

but I'm not sure exactly what answer he is looking for. I think ΔL/L = 1.02 because of the maximum tension allowed is 2%
    Should I rearrange the equation to see which stress is required to extend the wire 2%?

Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2
    Well, a guitarist probably knows nothing about tensions, young modulus, velocity, and etc. So, what would be reasonable to tell him?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted