How can a guitarist avoid breaking strings when tuning?

In summary, a guitarist is facing a problem where the E-string (330Hz) often breaks when tuning it. The string is made of Copper with a diameter of 0.3mm and the wave velocity is calculated to be 530m/s based on the length of the guitar neck. It is known that strings on musical instruments often break if the tension exceeds 2%. To avoid breaking the strings, the guitarist should aim to keep the tension below 2% and can use the equation Y = (F/A)/(ΔL/L) with the given values to determine the maximum stress allowed for the string in order to prevent breaking.
myrek

Homework Statement

A guitarist has a problem that the E-string (330Hz) often breaks when tuning it. The string is made of Copper and it has a diameter of 0.3mm. After some quick calculations based on the length of the guitar neck we can determine that the wave velocity is 530m/s

It is known that string on musical instruments often break if the tension exceeds 2% what advice would you give the guitarist to avoid breaking the strings?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what to calculate using youngs modulus.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been battling this problem for some time and I'm not sure exactly what the "answer" should be. I have approached it the following way.

first I calculated the wave length
λ=v/f, λ=530/330, λ=1.6m

I then know that the length of the string is
L=λ/2, L=0.8m

since I know the length and diameter of the wire i looked up the density and calculated the mass of the string according to the following calculation
m=A*L*ρ

m= (∏*0.00015*0.00015)*0.8*8900
m=5.03E-4 kg

I then calculated the linear mass density according to formula μ= 5.03E-4 /0.8
μ=6.29E-4 kg/m

finally I can calculate the string tension
F=v2
F=530*530*6.29E-4 = 177N

So now I know that the string tension is 177N. I'm not sure exactly what to do with it.
my prof gave me the tip to use youngs modulus.
I looked up youngs modulus for Cu to be 120GPa.

The equation looks like Y = (F/A)/(ΔL/L)

but I'm not sure exactly what answer he is looking for. I think ΔL/L = 1.02 because of the maximum tension allowed is 2%
Should I rearrange the equation to see which stress is required to extend the wire 2%?

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a guitarist probably knows nothing about tensions, young modulus, velocity, and etc. So, what would be reasonable to tell him?

1. What is a string tension problem?

A string tension problem is a common issue that occurs when the tension in a string is not evenly distributed, causing it to become loose or tight in certain areas. This can affect the sound and playability of stringed instruments, such as guitars and violins.

2. What are some signs of a string tension problem?

Some signs of a string tension problem include buzzing or rattling noises, difficulty tuning the instrument, and strings that feel too loose or too tight. You may also notice changes in the tone or pitch of the strings.

3. What causes a string tension problem?

A string tension problem can be caused by various factors, such as changes in temperature and humidity, improper string installation, or using the wrong type of strings for the instrument. It can also be a sign of structural issues with the instrument itself.

4. How can I fix a string tension problem?

The best way to fix a string tension problem is to first identify the cause. If it is due to changes in temperature or humidity, adjusting the instrument's environment can help. If it is a structural issue, it is best to take the instrument to a professional for repair. In some cases, simply replacing the strings or restringing the instrument can also help.

5. How can I prevent a string tension problem?

To prevent a string tension problem, it is important to properly install and maintain your strings. Make sure to use the correct type of strings for your instrument and regularly check for any signs of wear or damage. It is also important to store your instrument in a stable environment with consistent temperature and humidity levels.