Calculating Tension in Connecting String of Two Blocks

In summary: N - (-2.58) = 16.12NYes.So that makes me think 16N + T = 3.57(5.2) which isn't right i don't think is it?
Jwill

Homework Statement

Two forces acting on two blocks A and B are connected with a string between them. Force FA = (16 N) acts on block A, with mass 5.2 kg. Force FB = (24 N) i acts on block B, with mass 6.0 kg. What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought maybe the answer is the product of the difference between the accelerations and forces but I don't think that's right.

Physics news on Phys.org
First calculate the acceleration of the system... then you can find the tension... Use freebody diagrams.

I understand that I need to find acceleration but I don't understand what to do about the acceleration of blocks being different. I come up with 3.0769m/s^2 for A and 4m/s^2 for B. How do I use this to find the tension?

Jwill said:
I understand that I need to find acceleration but I don't understand what to do about the acceleration of blocks being different. I come up with 3.0769m/s^2 for A and 4m/s^2 for B. How do I use this to find the tension?

That's not right... because the net force acting on A and B aren't just those forces given...

Are the 16N and 24N in opposite directions or the same direction?

Take the system as a whole(A and B and the string)... what is the net force acting on this system... what is the acceleration of this system...

They are acting in the same direction. So would that mean 24N - 16N = 8N as the net force? And the 8N force is acting on the 11.2kg blocks for an acceleration of 0.7142857 m/2^2?

Jwill said:
They are acting in the same direction. So would that mean 24N - 16N = 8N as the net force?

Why did you subtract instead of add (since the two forces are in the same direction)? What is the mass of the entire system?

I guess there's no reason to subtract... the sum would be 40 and the mass of the system is 11.2kg... so that'd make the acceleration 3.57m/s^2.

Jwill said:
I guess there's no reason to subtract... the sum would be 40 and the mass of the system is 11.2kg... so that'd make the acceleration 3.57m/s^2.

Yeah, that's exactly right. Now you can examine the freebody diagram of either mass A alone or mass B alone to get the tension... use the knowledge that acceleration is 3.57m/s^2.

It would be the one lagging behind right? The thing that kind of confuses me is the outcome is 18.564N and I'm supprised that even though they're both moving in the same direction with forces how there is still so much tension between the two blocks. Thank you for your help by the way.

Jwill said:
It would be the one lagging behind right? The thing that kind of confuses me is the outcome is 18.564N and I'm supprised that even though they're both moving in the same direction with forces how there is still so much tension between the two blocks. Thank you for your help by the way.

can you show how you got 18.564N? I'm not getting that.

Jwill said:

Your intuition is correct I believe. I get a much smaller tension... you can use either mass to find the tension.

Last edited:
I used f=ma ... 5.6 * 3.57m/s^2 = 18.564N. Is that not the correct formula for tension? or did i apply it incorrectly?

Jwill said:
I used f=ma ... 5.6 * 3.57m/s^2 = 18.564N. Is that not the correct formula for tension? or did i apply it incorrectly?
You need to take into acount that Tension is not the only force acting on each of these blocks.

Draw a freebody of Block A. What Forces are acting on it? Then Calculate Tension.

Draw a freebody of Block B. What Forces are acting on it? Caculate Tension again.

Is it the same? Hint: it should be.

Casey

Still have no idea what to do... shouldn't be that hard of a problem.. just missing something

Jwill said:
Still have no idea what to do... shouldn't be that hard of a problem.. just missing something

Let's use mass A... what are the forces acting on mass A?

16Ni and gravity i guess

Jwill said:
16Ni and gravity i guess

You also have tension.

And that would add to 16N force right?

Jwill said:
And that would add to 16N force right?

yes.

So that makes me think 16N + T = 3.57(5.2) which isn't right i don't think is it?

Well that would make the force from tension on A be -2.58 and B 2.564

Last edited:
Jwill said:
So that makes me think 16N + T = 3.57(5.2) which isn't right i don't think is it?

Yes, that's right... you picked the right direction for tension since it comes out positive... T = 2.564... where are you getting -2.58? Is that for mass B?

EDIT: The numbers are slightly off because we rounded a to 3.57m/s^2... if we use the exact number, the tension will come out the same for both A and B

Remember the tension on B is in the opposite direction as the tension on A.

Last edited:
Yes A is the lagging mass... for A i used T = 3.57(5.2) - 16

Jwill said:
Yes A is the lagging mass... for A i used T = 3.57(5.2) - 16

So the tension acts in the forward direction for A, and the backwards direction for B (which makes sense because the tensions in a rope are in opposite directions at the opposite ends...)

So would that make the tension on the rope be 5.144N by adding the magnitudes?

Jwill said:

No... the tension just refers to the 2.564N...

Jwill said:

The tension acting on A and B are the same magnitude(opposite directions)... it's just not coming out exactly the same because we rounded acceleration to 3.57m/s^2... if we kept the exact number... the tensions would come out the same.

Why does T = 3.57(5.2) - 16 for A
and T = 3.57(6) - 24 for B
produce different results?

Nevermind, it was because 3.57 is rounded... thank you very much... you've helped me better understand tension

Jwill said:
Why does T = 3.57(5.2) - 16 for A
and T = 3.57(6) - 24 for B
produce different results?

If you draw tension in one direction acting on A... you should draw it in the opposite direction acting on B...

T = 3.57(5.2) - 16

T = 24 - 3.57(6)

If we used the exact a instead of 3.57... the two calculations would come out exactly the same...

Jwill said:
Nevermind, it was because 3.57 is rounded... thank you very much... you've helped me better understand tension

cool. no prob.

1. How do you calculate the tension in a connecting string of two blocks?

To calculate the tension in a connecting string of two blocks, you need to consider the weight of the blocks, the angle of the string, and the acceleration of the blocks. You can use the formula T = (m1 + m2) * g * cosθ, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the string.

2. What is the significance of calculating tension in a connecting string of two blocks?

Calculating tension in a connecting string of two blocks is important in understanding the forces acting on the blocks and the string. It can help determine if the string is strong enough to support the weight of the blocks and if the blocks will move or remain stationary.

3. Can the tension in a connecting string of two blocks be negative?

No, the tension in a connecting string of two blocks cannot be negative. Tension is a force and forces can only be positive. However, the direction of the tension can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the acceleration of the blocks.

4. How does the angle of the string affect the tension in a connecting string of two blocks?

The angle of the string affects the tension in a connecting string of two blocks because it changes the direction of the force. As the angle increases, the tension decreases and vice versa. This is because the weight of the blocks is distributed between the vertical and horizontal components of the tension.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating tension in a connecting string of two blocks?

Calculating tension in a connecting string of two blocks is important in many real-life situations such as construction, rock climbing, and engineering. It is used to determine the strength of ropes, cables, and other materials used to support heavy objects. It is also used in designing pulley systems and elevators.