String Theory: Are Vibrating Strings Tensioned or Free-Floating?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of tension in string and brane theory, specifically whether the strings need tension to maintain vibrating like normal strings. The participants also question the source of the tension in these strings and suggest that it may be related to space-time.
gonegahgah
If you have a guitar string and you pluck it nothing happens.
Not unless it is tensioned by pulling both ends tightly.

In string and brane theory do the strings have something that keeps them tensioned?
Or don't they need tension to maintain vibrating; unlike normal strings?
Are they free floating vibrations or tensioned vibrations?

Sorry, I think I put this in the wrong area (I'm not a science researcher); can it please be moved to general physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
gonegahgah said:
If you have a guitar string and you pluck it nothing happens.
Not unless it is tensioned by pulling both ends tightly.

In string and brane theory do the strings have something that keeps them tensioned?
Or don't they need tension to maintain vibrating; unlike normal strings?
Are they free floating vibrations or tensioned vibrations?

Sorry, I think I put this in the wrong area (I'm not a science researcher); can it please be moved to general physics?

They are under tension. From where? Who knows.

James Leighe said:
They are under tension. From where? Who knows.

Maybe they are like long rods with intrinsic elasticity.

It seems to me that the strings would be tension to space-time it's self.

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that describes the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that the building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies.

2. Are the strings in String Theory tensioned or free-floating?

The strings in String Theory are believed to be tensioned, meaning that they have a fixed length and are always under tension. This tension is what causes the strings to vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the different types of particles in the universe.

3. How does String Theory explain gravity?

According to String Theory, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a consequence of the curvature of space caused by the presence of massive objects. In this theory, gravity is a result of the way strings interact with each other and with the fabric of space-time.

4. Is there any evidence to support String Theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support String Theory. However, many physicists believe that it has the potential to unify the different theories of physics and provide a more complete understanding of the universe. Some indirect evidence, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson, supports certain predictions of String Theory.

5. What are some potential implications of String Theory?

If String Theory is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help explain the origins of the universe, unify the laws of physics, and potentially lead to new technologies. It could also have implications for other areas of science, such as cosmology and quantum mechanics.