Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B String theory, Calabi–Yau manifolds, complex dimensions

1. Jan 9, 2018 #1
    So in string theory at each point of Minkowski spacetime we might have a 3 dimensional compact complex
    Calabi–Yau manifold? We can have curved compact spaces without complex numbers I assume, what is
    interesting or special about complex compact spaces?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2018 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I don't understand your question, I mean ##\mathbb{C}## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^2##.
    You can look at complex numbers as real vectors, nothing special about them.

I mean obviously we have an additional structure of addition and multiplication defined on real vectors given by complex addition and multiplication.

I.e from ##(a+bi)(c+di) = (ac-bd)+i(ad+bc)##, so we have also multiplication on real vectors as: ##(a,b)(c,d) = (ac-bd,ad+bc)##.

4. Jan 10, 2018 #3
    Thank you for your reply. So I know the basics of complex numbers above. Let me try again.

Is it this additional structure above that differentiates say a 6 dimensional real compact space (again, I assume such a compact space exists) from a 3 complex dimension compact space? It seems that complex numbers have additional structure that nature may need that real numbers don't provide in regards to the proposed compact additional dimensions of string theory? Hoping for an "a ha" moment, a quantum jump in understanding.

Thanks!

5. Jan 10, 2018 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

You should wait for others that learned string theory, I haven't yet had the opportunity to read Zweibach's book, maybe next year.

BTW, are you reading technical texts or popular texts?

6. Jan 10, 2018 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

BTW don't restrict yourself only to complex numbers, we also have octonions,quartenions and whatnot

I.e, if the universe is infinite then every mathematical model has some manifestation in reality.

It's all about imagination!

7. Jan 10, 2018 #6
    Part of the problem is I have not poised my question better. I have had time to think about this and maybe can come up with better questions?

So I had a thought that is maybe a bit related to my question, real numbers are fine for general relativity, complex numbers help with Maxwell's equations but are not needed, complex numbers are necessary for quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, and it appears that complex compact spaces are required for string theory. So one might say, well yes, maybe you need complex compact spaces because at its heart nature is quantum mechanical and you need complex numbers to come from somewhere?

But back to maybe a better iteration of my question. So we are told that the number of distinct Calabi-yau 3 manifolds is larger then the big number 10^500 and if you look at a Google image search of Calabi-yau manifolds it is a wonderful assortment of shapes, for example.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=.....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.64....0.yxbl7RxF9ks

calabiyauN.png

So, do real 6 dimensional compact spaces come in the "crazy" forms above or does that require complex numbers?

If you had a dozen random real 6 dimensional compact spaces would they have similar features as a dozen random compact 3 complex dimensional Calabi-yau spaces but also differences?

I guess there is a simple reason for why nature needs complex and compact versus real and compact and if I did read about that reason I can not recall it.

Google takes me to lots of places but there does not seem to be much middle ground, it can only be made so simple it seems but fortunately many experts try and make it more simple. Like this little bit, https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/about-us...d-mathematics-alphabet/c-calabi-yau-manifolds

Thanks!

8. Jan 26, 2018 #7
    Calabi-Yau manifolds have a neat combination of properties but they are not the whole story. They are complex manifolds (meaning they can be covered in complex-valued coordinate patches, with transition functions that are complex-differentiable), they are Ricci-flat (volume is conserved by tidal forces), they allow a constant spinor field (and thus a low-energy supersymmetry).

But once you start looking at compactifications with fluxes or that are metastable (i.e. the geometry is changing), any or all of those properties can be lost. Also, if you start with M-theory, in 11 dimensions, you compactify on a 7-manifold, so it can't be complex, though it can have the other properties.

Calabi-Yaus are just where string phenomenology got started. The math was more tractable and it took a while to realize other possibilities... There is a theory that the "landscape" of d=4 string vacua is numerically dominated by flux compactifications of F-theory on a particular CY4, but we don't know if that has anything to do with the real world.

9. Feb 12, 2018 #8
    Spinnor. Since you google a lot. Maybe you know the answer to the following related:

Do you believe there is no known mechanism in string theory (and none in the any foreseeable future) that would dynamically prefer Calabi-Yau compactifications over other compactifications". Can't anyone think of any exception? Couldn't Calabi-Yau spaces be like alphabets where they could create all sorts of possibilities?

Also why is the interest in CY-compactifications said to be "entirely driven by the prejudice that nature should feature one unbroken supersymmetry at low (here: weak breaking scale) energy?"

Lastly. For years I kept seeing the thread "the wrong turn of string theory".. I thought it was talking about wrong turn of string theory in general. I just found out a while ago that that thread was about the unusual possibility there are supersymmetric relations among the already known particles. I missed this for 5 whole years. So my messages there are indeed off topic. Sorry to the participants

10. Feb 12, 2018 #9
    From my questions you should have gathered I am NOT an expert in string theory, but that said I think it is the only game in town right now.

My uneducated bet now (might change Friday) is that we don't need supersymmetry. Maybe you know if string theory can still work without it?

People make wrong turns all the time, eventually they usually get where they need to be. :-p

Question for you bluecap, in Kaluza-Klein theory can I think of the electric field of an electron as some type of curvature of 5D spacetime caused by a point electron?

Presumably the curvature gets smaller the further we are away from the electron?

Presumably the curvature can be associated with energy?

If we move past the electron the energy of the curvature of the electric field looks like momentum?

Can we associate the magnetic field with that momentum?

Electric field <--> curvature
    Magnetic field<--> flow of curvature?

Thanks!

11. Feb 12, 2018 #10
    My question is. If there is no supersymmetry.. could there still be Calabi-Yau compactifications? Are the two related? Can you have Calabi-Yau compactification without any supersymmetry (whether in the weak scale or among the known particles in some hidden symmetry?) Anyone?

I read a lot of Brian Greene a few years back and Woit's, Smolin's, Randall's and other popular books and Idiot's Guide to Superstrings. I'll review them again this week as well as the more advanced ones... as I really need to scrutinize this whole e8xe8 thing (do you know the second set of e8 are shadow matter).

12. Feb 12, 2018 #11
  13. Feb 12, 2018 #12
    Super-symmetry is necessary to explain Anti-particles in all forms without it you could not have the "Negative" Valued states or Opposite Vector direction in my experience. For Instance, you would just have a Charge of +1 or 0 and not -1 charge in your model without it on the electric dimension if it where applied to that, or spins in the opposite direction or whatever dimension you are referring to that has symmetry or Super-symmetry. .

MSSMBrokenEnglish.jpg

14. Feb 12, 2018 #13
    Thanks. Please share about the connection between supersymmetry and Calabi-Yau compactifications. If there is no supersymmetry.. could there still be Calabi-Yau compactifications? Are the two related? Can you have Calabi-Yau compactification without any supersymmetry (whether in the weak scale or among the known particles in some hidden symmetry?)?

15. Feb 12, 2018 #14
    This is a link you may find interesting about Mirror Symmetry and them. Unfortunately, it is pay walled. =)

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0211102

Here is the version that is not pay walled took me a moment to find.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0211102.pdf

There is a section about this topic and Super-symmetry, 2.2

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  16. Feb 12, 2018 #15
    nice links but just a quick question (because it would take me a week to read it thoroughly).. if LHC won't detect any form of supersymmetry in any scale.. can there still Calabi-Yau manifolds at planck scale? just answer yes or no and a bit of explanations.. lol.. tnx..

17. Feb 12, 2018 #16
    We do..... ever heard of Antimatter? that is basically it on the Electromagnetic Force dimension and SNF Dimension, but yes they would just be differently shaped Calabi-Yau manifolds that do not include it with slightly different math equations that govern them.

18. Feb 13, 2018 #17
    Darn it!

19. Feb 13, 2018 #18

bhobba

Staff: Mentor

That is totally wrong. The electric dimension - there is no such thing, In your experience - have you even studied Quantum Field Theory?

Normal Quantum Field Theory explains all those things.

The basis for electrical charge is U(1) symmetry, and other symmetries explain a large amount of things in the standard model:
    http://uw.physics.wisc.edu/~himpsel/449group.pdf

That's the dazzling beauty part of the standard model. The kludge is the number of constants that have to be put in by hand. That's what theories beyond the standard model hope to explain.

Thanks
    Bill

20. Feb 14, 2018 #19

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... by the anthropic principle, since the constants per the landscape are taken to be more like mass ratios of planets in the solar system, rather than anything fundamental.

21. Feb 14, 2018 #20
    Yes, there is do you know the definition of a dimension in QFT/QM?

State-Operator+correspondence:.jpg

Do you see that wave-function over ortho group O(x) that is a dimension being Change over r being a orthogonal change over r being another wonderful effect of how wave-functions exist over space. being Phi over R.

The Light wave certainly does about the strange thing do you see the vibration field of E and M over Wave function.

360px-Light-wave.svg.png
    Very basic Trig explains it , but yes there are many Special Orthogonal groups. that do spinors on wave fuctions over a dimension, QFT/QM say it is fine to do this.
    sch1.gif

which Feynman also changes over near light particle change by canceling of something.

Feynman-diagram-ee-scattering.png
    Maxwell's equation say it will change with one of my favorite operators, a masterful work of Laplace' his operator.

frame.gif
    which gives you the curl of any Charge dimension or any thing over (I,J,K) by Maxwell being a change in charge over a volume basically.

frame.gif

Whatever, it is, it is space filling.being something on or over it.​

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted