1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String theory frequencies

1. Dec 15, 2004 #1
    to begin, a few things

i am not a physicist or physics student
    i am open to corrections and answers via both my email and thread
    i am a new user and do not know if this is the correct place to post this

string theory states that every thing is composed of "strings" running at a certain frequency. string theory also allows for alternate or "parallel" dimensions. these dimensions are unseen because we are operating at a different frequency. if we were able to alter the frequency the strings forming a person operate at, and there was a way to stabalise the matter, could we not then travel to these dimensions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. the "parallel dimensions" are not unseen because of a "different frequency". (Strings in general have various frequencies.) They are unseen because they are very very short. Think of it this way: take a sheet of paper (2 dimensions) and roll it up into a very very thin cylinder. If the radius of the cylinder is very small (say, 0.01 mm) compared to the other dimension it looks like a line (one dimension).
  4. Dec 15, 2004 #3

thanks for that, cleared up a Q that had been on my mind quite a while
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?