String Theory grad schools?

In summary, the speaker is a recent graduate from a liberal arts college with a BA in physics. They are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics and are seeking advice on which schools are good and how their teaching experience and lower GPA may affect their chances. They are also considering studying abroad and are wondering about the language requirements and the pros and cons of this option. It is suggested that they focus on demonstrating their commitment to physics research and consider applying to both master's and PhD programs.
rghosh
so I'm just looking for some advice here. i just graduated from a liberal arts college with a BA in physics. i did a thesis on type IIA string theory [supergravity really] and i was just wondering what any of you know about grad schools... which ones are good? how does it look that I'm taking a few years off to teach high school. but I'm continuing to take courses at the local university.

also most of the schools I've been looking at are in the US. does anyone know about universities elsewhere that might be good? what are the pros/cons to studying abroad? if i were to go somewhere like france do i need to be fluent in french?

also my gpa isn't great, how hard is it going to be to make up for that? and should i try to go in for a masters first and then apply to a stronger phd program because of that?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is certainly possible to get into a good graduate school with a lower GPA. You would need to make sure to have strong letters of recommendation, and you should also focus on finding ways to demonstrate your commitment to physics research. You could try to do research while teaching high school, or take some graduate level courses at the local university and excel in them.

In terms of studying abroad, it can be a great way to expand your education and experience different cultures. You would need to research what language requirements may be needed for each university, but most universities offer courses in English as well. You may need to be fluent in the native language if you are looking to do research abroad, however, as that might involve a lot of interaction with native speaking professors and peers.

Finally, consider applying to both master's and PhD programs, as this will give you a greater chance of getting into a top-tier program. Good luck!

Congratulations on graduating with a BA in physics and completing a thesis on type IIA string theory! That is a great accomplishment. As for your questions about grad schools, here are some things to consider:

1. Research the programs and faculty: When looking at grad schools, it's important to research the specific program and the faculty members who will be teaching and mentoring you. Look for schools that have a strong reputation in string theory and have faculty members whose research interests align with yours. It's also important to consider the resources and funding available for research in your chosen field.

2. Taking time off: Taking a few years off to teach high school can actually be a valuable experience. It shows that you have practical teaching experience and have taken the time to gain real-world skills. This can be a positive aspect in your grad school applications.

3. Studying abroad: Studying abroad can be a great opportunity to experience a different culture and learn from different perspectives. However, it's important to consider the language requirements and whether you will be able to fully immerse yourself in the program if you are not fluent in the language. It's also important to research the reputation and resources of the universities abroad.

4. GPA and Masters programs: While a high GPA is always a plus, it's not the only factor that grad schools consider. Your research experience and letters of recommendation can also play a significant role. If you are concerned about your GPA, you can consider applying for a Masters program first and then applying for a PhD program later on. This can allow you to improve your academic record and gain more research experience before applying to a stronger PhD program.

Overall, my advice would be to research and apply to a mix of schools in the US and abroad, considering factors like program reputation, faculty, resources, and language requirements. Don't be discouraged by your GPA, but continue to work hard and gain more research experience to strengthen your application. Best of luck in your grad school journey!

1. What is String Theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics by describing the fundamental building blocks of the universe as tiny vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. What are the requirements for admission into a String Theory grad school?

The specific requirements for admission into a String Theory grad school may vary, but generally, a strong background in physics, mathematics, and theoretical physics is necessary. This may include coursework in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and differential equations.

3. How long does it take to complete a String Theory grad program?

The length of a String Theory grad program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's pace of study. On average, it takes about 5-6 years to complete a PhD program in String Theory.

4. What career opportunities are available after completing a String Theory grad program?

Graduates of String Theory grad programs often pursue careers in academia, research, or industry. Some may continue their studies as postdoctoral researchers, while others may work as professors, theoretical physicists, or consultants in various fields.

5. What are some top universities for studying String Theory?

Some top universities for studying String Theory include Harvard University, Princeton University, University of California-Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and California Institute of Technology (Caltech). However, there are many other reputable universities that offer strong String Theory programs as well.