1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String theory question

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the solution to problem 6.3 shown in the attachment, can someone explain to me why [tex] d\vec{X}/dx [/tex] was implicitly set equal to [tex] \partial \vec{X}/\partial{x} [/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2
    Actually, the trouble begins before that. The unnumbered equation is wrong. They have
    [tex]d\vec{X} = (dx, y' dx) = (1, y') dx[/tex]
    but in the statement of the problem on page 114, Zwiebach has [itex]y' = \partial y / \partial x[/itex]. So the unnumbered equation should read:
    [tex]d\vec{X} = (dx, y' dx + \dot{y} dt)[/tex]
    From this, added to the fact that as you said, he needs [itex] \partial \vec{X}/\partial{x} [/itex] not [itex] d\vec{X}/dx [/itex], I think you can see how to finish up.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    You are right. Then how do you get dx/ds when the expression in [tex]d\vec{X}[/tex] now has a time differential in it so you cannot use equation 2?
  5. Sep 21, 2007 #4
    Don't use equation 2. Don't use equation 3 either. Use the chain rule to find
    [tex]\frac{\partial\vec{X}}{\partial s}[/tex]
  6. Sep 21, 2007 #5
    The first equality in equation 3 is the chain rule for that, isn't it? So, I still need dx/ds, don't I?
  7. Sep 21, 2007 #6
    It isn't. It doesn't into account the fact that
    also depends on time.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?