Exploring String Theory: Questions and Concepts

In summary, Colin is interested in understanding how frequencies between points create particles in string theory. He asks if arranging the points in a cube would produce 12 particles or one particle from the harmonic frequency of the entire cube. He also asks about the nature of points and their effects, and if the cube would be 3-dimensional. Kevin explains that the frequencies and properties of strings determine the properties of particles, and that particles can appear to be another particle when the properties of their constituent parts cancel out. He also suggests that Colin reach out to a string theorist for further clarification.
lowing99
Hi

In string theory, as I understand it, a frequency between two points creates a particle, different frequencies make different particles.

If say the points were arranged in a cube there would be 8 points with twelve strings between them, would this lead to twelve particles or would one particle be produced from the harmonic frequency of the entire cube?

Second question, what is the explanation for the points, are they just an imaginary point at the end of each string or do they have attractive or repulsive effects? Is the frequency of the string a product of say a + value at one end and a - value at the other?

Last question, If the strings are one dimensional would the cube described above be 3 dimensional?

Hope somene can help

Best

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the cube would be 3-dimensional, as the edges of a cube are one-dimensional objects in a 3-dimensional space. Your idea of strings being coupled into a cubic shape isn't really physical. This isn't how things interact in the physical world. But if you could describe a structure such as a exotic quark in such a way it would be the product of individual particles appearing as one because the colour charges cancel out and other quantities which make it appear as a point particle.

Kevin_Axion said:
Yes, the cube would be 3-dimensional, as the edges of a cube are one-dimensional objects in a 3-dimensional space. Your idea of strings being coupled into a cubic shape isn't really physical. This isn't how things interact in the physical world. But if you could describe a structure such as a exotic quark in such a way it would be the product of individual particles appearing as one because the colour charges cancel out and other quantities which make it appear as a point particle.

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the post, the cube above is a purely theoretical shape I needed some kind of structure to form the question.

Could you clarify further, do you mean that the point particle would be in effect the product of the frequencies within the cube (i.e. producing a larger or smaller freq), or do you mean the single or multiple harmonics of all twelve frequencies make the point particle.

Did you have any answer to the +- question, or is that way out :)

Thanks for the 3d bit I can tick that off the list now.

Best

Colin

The frequencies of the string determine the properties of particles. For instance the amount of harmonic partials along the string determine the energy and also its mass, mass-energy equivalence. The 'rotation' of the string determines its spin, the charge, other fundamental properties of the string are determined by these attributes, such as colour charge - quarks and gluons. What I'm saying is that the coupling of quarks that are confined by Asymptotic Freedom (Asymptotic Freedom is an idea predicted by QCD and says that quarks and gluons interact and as the distance increases the force diverges. Therefore since quarks are close they appear to be free particles within the Hadrons/Mesons) create a particle such as a proton in which the charges cancel out to appear to create another particle. In a proton the colour charge is neutral because the quark colour charges cancel out. Where as the electric charge doesn't cancel because a proton is [tex]up[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex]up[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex]down[/tex], and an up quark has a charge of [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] and a down quark has a charge of [tex]-\frac{1}{3}[/tex]therefore this creates a total charge of [tex]\frac{3}{3}[/tex] or [tex]1[/tex]. Alike, the strings will cancel out in the cubic shape to create another particle like a proton or exotic particles in which the properties cancel and couple in a fashion that appears to be another particle. About the end points. I think you're talking about D0-Branes.

Thanks Kevin

I'm new to the quantum world. I'm going to have to do some reading on quantum particles. I'll try and find some threads on D0-Branes.

best

Colin

You should private message someone on this forum by the name of surprised. He's a string theorist so he'd be able to help you.

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that seeks to describe the fundamental nature of matter and the forces that govern the universe. It proposes that the smallest building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.

2. How does String Theory explain the four fundamental forces?

String Theory attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature - gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force - by describing them as different vibrations of the same underlying strings.

3. Is there any evidence to support String Theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for String Theory. However, it has provided mathematical solutions to long-standing problems in physics, and it is still being actively researched and studied.

4. Can String Theory be tested or proven?

String Theory is a highly complex and abstract theory, making it difficult to test or prove through experiments. However, scientists are working on ways to potentially test some of its predictions, such as the existence of extra dimensions.

5. What are the potential implications of String Theory?

If String Theory is proven to be correct, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and provide a unified theory of everything. It could also open up new possibilities for technologies and advancements in various fields.