Spin Matrices & Higher Spin Tensors: Find Answers Here

In summary, the conversation is discussing the reasons why higher spin tensors are totally symmetric and have a different number of independent components than degrees of freedom. This is due to the imposition of extra constraints, such as transversality and tracelessness conditions, which are connected to the irreducibility condition. The proof of these conditions for irreducibility of tensors can be found in various sources, including original papers by Fierz, Pauli, and Fronsdal, as well as in Zee's QFT-book and Srednicki's QFT-book. However, finding clear expositions of this material aimed at physicists without an overload of mathematical jargon can be challenging. Some helpful resources include lecture notes by Sorokin and Vasiliev
filip97
i can't find on internet why higher spin tensors are totally simetric. know this anyone ?

I think that is connected to spin matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has to do with a counting of degrees of freedom, which is explained in every set of lecture notes on higher spin theory, e.g. the ones by Sorokin, "Introduction to the Classical Theory of Higher Spins". It's been a while since I've been into this stuff, but I strongly recommend to take a specificif reference and be more explicit if you want people to help you ;)

Likes filip97
Ok there is s-covariant totally symmetric tensor T with indices m1,m2,...,ms, 1<=mi<=4 there is (4+s-1)!/((s!)*(4+s-1-4) independent components! This result is non equal to 2s+1 degrees of freedom(independent components, why ?

Because you impose extra constraints.

Do you know e.g. how to count degrees of freedom on- and ofshell for spin 0,1,2?

Yes, I read this. But problem is transversality and traceless condition. Is transversality and traceless condition in conection with irreducibility condition ? If yes, then where I can find irreducibility conditions for tensors ?

As I read in Sagnotti's notes, eqn. 2.1:

For any given s, the first member of the sets (2.1) and (2.2) defines the mass–shell, the second eliminates
unwanted “time” components, and finally the last confines the available excitations to irreducible multiplets.

So I guess the divergenceless condition removes ghosts (negative norm states), and the tracelessness condition gives you an irrep. Heuristically, this is to be expected, since for rotations every representation can be written as the direct sum of three irreps: the trace, the antisymmetric part and the traceless-symmetric part.

For spin 2, you can consult

https://arxiv.org/abs/1105.3735
For some representation theory, maybe Zee's QFT-book is nice. But I must admit I've never seen really clear expositions of this kind of stuff. I only know it handwavingly since I've never had to use it in my own research.

Likes filip97
Ok, this is clearer. Where I can find proof of conditions for irreducibility of tensors ? Thanks !

I found a counting argument in the following thesis, chapter 2:

tesi.cab.unipd.it/45482/1/Alessandro_Agugliaro.pdfIf I google, I find often references to the original papers of Fierz, Pauli and Fronsdal. To be honest, I've never seen clear expositions of this representation-stuff aimed at physicists without an overload of mathematical jargon or notation. As I said, Zee has a nice appendix about group theory and building irreducible representations. I also like the exposure of Srednicki's QFT-book.

A very heuristic explanation as I remember it from the top of my head (someone correct me if I'm wrong!): in four dimensions, the (complexified) Lorentz algebra is isomorphic to the product of two SU(2) (complexified) algebra's. That's why for instance the vector representation can be written as the product of two fundamental SU(2) representations. However, these products as such are often not irreducible and also contain other spin-representations. With the tracelessness condition you eliminate those lower spin parts.

Maybe these lecture notes,

www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/ho/GNotes.pdfare helpful, but as I said, I've been struggling with this stuff myself and never found any decent notes myself.

1. What are spin matrices and higher spin tensors?

Spin matrices and higher spin tensors are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of particles. Spin matrices are 2x2 matrices that represent the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, while higher spin tensors are higher-dimensional matrices used to describe the spin of particles with spin values greater than 1/2.

2. How are spin matrices and higher spin tensors used in quantum mechanics?

Spin matrices and higher spin tensors are used to describe the spin states of particles in quantum mechanics. They are essential in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and in predicting the outcomes of spin measurements.

3. What is the relationship between spin matrices and spin operators?

Spin matrices are the mathematical representation of spin operators, which are operators that act on the spin states of particles. Spin operators are used to calculate the probabilities of different spin states and to perform spin measurements.

4. Can spin matrices and higher spin tensors be used to describe all particles?

No, spin matrices and higher spin tensors can only be used to describe particles with intrinsic spin. Particles without spin, such as photons, cannot be described using these mathematical objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of spin matrices and higher spin tensors?

Spin matrices and higher spin tensors have many practical applications, including in nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), electron spin resonance spectroscopy, and quantum computing. They are also used in particle physics to study the properties of subatomic particles.