Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String Theory & Wavefunction collapse

1. Jul 9, 2005 #1
    Does string theory provide an explanation for the collapse of the wave function in QM?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2005 #2
    I don't think so. Basic string theory assumes that elementary quantum formalism is fundamental.

4. Jul 9, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Right. String theory doesn't go any deeper in explanation than was previously worked out. One thing that they have though is that they only do on-shell calculations. This means they don't have "virtual strings" in their theory.

5. Jul 9, 2005 #4
    Thank you gentlemen,

I didn't think it offered an explanation but I just wanted to check to be sure.

6. Nov 15, 2006 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

7. Nov 15, 2006 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Demystifier, you are a tireless advicate for Bohmian approaches. These were formerly a no-no here, but have come to be accepted as variants within the pale. Nevertheless, jogging our elbows on every possible occasion with "check out the Bohmian view" gets pretty old. Just a rant, not really a rejection.

8. Nov 15, 2006 #7
    It's possible that string theory may eventually have something to say about how the cosmological wavefunction collapses.

9. Nov 16, 2006 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I too am uncomfortable with the Bohm approach. The wave function collapse, at least in my mind, is a useful analogy - not unlike the rubber sheet in GR. I doubt it is physically meaningful.

10. Nov 16, 2006 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I just want to draw the physicists attention to the possibility that there is more about the Bohmian approach than they think. If LQG people and string people can advertise their approaches, I do not see a reason why Bohmian people could not do the same thing. Moreover, as the Bohmian approach is not that established as LQG and string theory, the bohmians are forced to be more aggresive in their advertisement if they want to become competitive.

11. Nov 16, 2006 #10

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Well, the Bohmian interpretation says that there is NO true wave-function collapse. So, why exactly are you uncomfortable with the Bohm approach?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?