Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String Theory

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    Can anyone reccomend a Beginners Guide kind of thing for string theory? Basically trying to get started off, whats the best book(s) for me to get? (Preferably cheaper ones, I am kind of cash strapped blown my physics books money for a while)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2
    Are you looking for a layman's book or one with the mathematics in it?

4. Mar 16, 2008 #3
    One with the Mathematics in it please :)

5. Mar 16, 2008 #4
    Michio Kaku has some very enjoyable layman's reading on the subject, but the one textbook I have seen of his was extremely difficult to understand. I hope you know a lot of about group theory.

6. Mar 16, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try Zwiebach's "A First course in String Theory." I know nothing about string theory, but I gather this is a good introduction.

Edit: I didn't notice the money part: perhaps you could beg to join your local university's library?

7. Mar 16, 2008 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  8. Mar 16, 2008 #7
    Zweibach?? I am not too sure about this but I think I know someone who has this book. I know her well could probably "borrow" it ;-) Maybe I should go with the layman's reading at first and go with the Mathematics aspect once that is secure? think thats a better idea?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook