1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String Theory

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    Can anyone reccomend a Beginners Guide kind of thing for string theory? Basically trying to get started off, whats the best book(s) for me to get? (Preferably cheaper ones, I am kind of cash strapped blown my physics books money for a while)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2
    Are you looking for a layman's book or one with the mathematics in it?

4. Mar 16, 2008 #3
    One with the Mathematics in it please :)

5. Mar 16, 2008 #4
    Michio Kaku has some very enjoyable layman's reading on the subject, but the one textbook I have seen of his was extremely difficult to understand. I hope you know a lot of about group theory.

6. Mar 16, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try Zwiebach's "A First course in String Theory." I know nothing about string theory, but I gather this is a good introduction.

Edit: I didn't notice the money part: perhaps you could beg to join your local university's library?

7. Mar 16, 2008 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Mar 16, 2008 #7
    Zweibach?? I am not too sure about this but I think I know someone who has this book. I know her well could probably "borrow" it ;-) Maybe I should go with the layman's reading at first and go with the Mathematics aspect once that is secure? think thats a better idea?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?