Beginner's Guide to String Theory: Best Books for the Cash-Strapped

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a beginner's guide to string theory. The person asks for suggestions for affordable books, preferably with mathematics included. Michio Kaku's books are mentioned, but the person suggests Zwiebach's "A First Course in String Theory" as the standard introduction. The conversation also mentions the option of borrowing the book from someone and starting with layman's reading before delving into the mathematics aspect.
ElNino
Can anyone reccomend a Beginners Guide kind of thing for string theory? Basically trying to get started off, what's the best book(s) for me to get? (Preferably cheaper ones, I am kind of cash strapped blown my physics books money for a while)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a layman's book or one with the mathematics in it?

One with the Mathematics in it please :)

Michio Kaku has some very enjoyable layman's reading on the subject, but the one textbook I have seen of his was extremely difficult to understand. I hope you know a lot of about group theory.

Try Zwiebach's "A First course in String Theory." I know nothing about string theory, but I gather this is a good introduction.

Edit: I didn't notice the money part: perhaps you could beg to join your local university's library?

Zweibach?? I am not too sure about this but I think I know someone who has this book. I know her well could probably "borrow" it ;-) Maybe I should go with the layman's reading at first and go with the Mathematics aspect once that is secure? think that's a better idea?

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of the universe by describing matter and energy as tiny, vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

2. Why is String Theory considered important in the scientific community?

String Theory is considered important because it has the potential to unify all four fundamental forces of nature - gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces - into one coherent framework. It also offers a way to reconcile the theory of general relativity and quantum mechanics, two of the most successful but incompatible theories in physics.

3. Are there any recommended books for beginners to learn about String Theory?

Yes, there are several highly recommended books for beginners to learn about String Theory. Some popular choices include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Cosmic Landscape" by Leonard Susskind, and "String Theory for Dummies" by Andrew Zimmerman Jones.

4. Are there any free resources available for learning about String Theory?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning about String Theory. Some options include online lectures and courses, such as those offered by the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, as well as educational videos and articles on websites like YouTube and Quanta Magazine.

5. Can I understand String Theory without a strong background in physics?

While having a background in physics can certainly be helpful in understanding the concepts of String Theory, it is not necessary. Many introductory books and resources are written in a way that is accessible to non-experts. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus and linear algebra in order to fully grasp the theory.