Deriving the Nambu-Goto Equation of Motion

In summary, the author is attempting to derive the equation of motion for the Nambu-Goto action in these notes. They have found and proved all the necessary components, but are having trouble getting the equation to work out. The equation of motion is obtained using the variational principle, and involves functional derivatives.
latentcorpse
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/string/string.pdf

In these notes, I am trying to derive the equation of motion (1.21) corresponding to the Nambu-Goto action:

[itex]\partial_\alpha ( \sqrt{ - \text{det} \gamma} \gamma^{\alpha \beta} \partial_\beta X^\mu ) =0[/itex]

I have found and proved all the stuff he says we need in order to do it in the above paragraph but just cannot get it to work out.

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you're having an algebraic issue or a conceptual issue. (1.21) follows from the formula in the text above via the chain rule. The equation of motion is

[tex]0=\partial_\epsilon \left( \frac{\delta\sqrt{-\gamma}}{\delta(\partial_\epsilon X^\mu)} \right) = \partial_\epsilon \left( \frac{\delta\sqrt{-\gamma}}{\delta\gamma_{\alpha\beta} } \frac{\delta\gamma_{\alpha\beta}}{\delta(\partial_\epsilon X^\mu)} \right) .[/tex]

(1.21) follows from putting everything together.

fzero said:
I'm not sure if you're having an algebraic issue or a conceptual issue. (1.21) follows from the formula in the text above via the chain rule. The equation of motion is

[tex]0=\partial_\epsilon \left( \frac{\delta\sqrt{-\gamma}}{\delta(\partial_\epsilon X^\mu)} \right) = \partial_\epsilon \left( \frac{\delta\sqrt{-\gamma}}{\delta\gamma_{\alpha\beta} } \frac{\delta\gamma_{\alpha\beta}}{\delta(\partial_\epsilon X^\mu)} \right) .[/tex]

(1.21) follows from putting everything together.

Algebraic. Can you explain this in more detail please. Why are there deltas involved?

Thanks.

The equation of motion is obtained by using the variational principle

[tex]
0=\partial_\epsilon \left( \frac{\delta S}{\delta(\partial_\epsilon X^\mu)} \right) - \frac{\delta S}{\delta( X^\mu)}.
[/tex]

The 2nd term vanishes, while the equation I wrote in post 2 follows from the first term.

fzero said:
The equation of motion is obtained by using the variational principle

[tex]
0=\partial_\epsilon \left( \frac{\delta S}{\delta(\partial_\epsilon X^\mu)} \right) - \frac{\delta S}{\delta( X^\mu)}.
[/tex]

The 2nd term vanishes, while the equation I wrote in post 2 follows from the first term.

Ok. But the answer doesn't ahve any deltas in it so why are we using the variational EL equations? Why not use

[itex]\partial_\mu \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial ( \partial_\mu X^\nu )} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial X^\nu}[/itex]

Using [tex]\delta[/tex] here is partially a matter of notation and partially an attempt to distinguish that the functional derivative is not mathematically the same as a normal derivative. I don't believe that this issue would prevent you from obtaining the result, so you might want to explain in more detail where you got stuck in your derivation.

1. What is the Nambu-Goto equation of motion?

The Nambu-Goto equation of motion is a fundamental equation in string theory that describes the motion of a string in spacetime. It is derived from the Nambu-Goto action, which is a mathematical representation of the energy of a string.

2. How is the Nambu-Goto equation of motion derived?

The Nambu-Goto equation of motion is derived using the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action (energy) of the system. In this case, the action is the Nambu-Goto action, and the resulting equation of motion is obtained by varying the action with respect to the string's position in spacetime.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the Nambu-Goto equation of motion?

The Nambu-Goto equation of motion is derived under the assumptions that the string is infinitely thin, has no thickness or width, and is under tension. It also assumes that the string is moving in a flat spacetime.

4. What is the significance of the Nambu-Goto equation of motion?

The Nambu-Goto equation of motion is significant because it is a key component in the mathematical framework of string theory. It allows us to describe the behavior of strings in a consistent and elegant manner, and it has led to many important developments in theoretical physics.

5. Are there any applications of the Nambu-Goto equation of motion?

Yes, the Nambu-Goto equation of motion has several applications in different fields of physics. It is used in string theory to describe the behavior of strings at the quantum level. It is also used in cosmology to study the early universe and in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of certain materials.