String Theory: A Revolutionary View of Atoms

In summary, the string is a small, fundamental object that creates the field around it. The field is a particle. There are different shapes for the strings, but they are all very wiggly. The strings can merge, have their endpoints fastened to pieces of higher space, and can create particles that look like the standard model.
Mwyn
String Theory!

ok am I getting this right? when people talk about string theory they say that atoms instead of being made out of orbs particles they are waves coming from a fundamental string.

Physics news on Phys.org
correct, but particles where never really orbs, more like points. and the certain particle is given its properties by the oscilations and spinning of a 1 dimensional string.

I think of it like a field.

The string is very small and as it vibrate's it create's the field around it. This field is a particle.

Each note of string theory create's a different field, in effect a different particle.

Its like a hard shell around the small string.

I have another question exactly what shape are the strings? I herd people say they are circles or figure 8's or thin lines but which are they?

What exactly is a string of energy??
I don`t think I really have proper understanding of energy.

Also, how many string are in a particle?

PS

Mwyn said:
I have another question exactly what shape are the strings? I herd people say they are circles or figure 8's or thin lines but which are they?

Take an ordinary piece of string. It can be in an ordinary state with two ends. This is called "open". It can make a loop (well, a rubber band is a better example here), with no ends. This is called "closed". These are the two states for a string theory string. They are one dimensional (no thickness) and what they are made of is not specified. They come with a tension given and not explained. They vibrate and the vibrations are what makes particles. Exact shapes (like circles) are not important, everything is very wiggly.

Strings can merge, making your figure eights and other shapes, they can get into knots, they can wind around obstructions (like pieces of compacted manifolds) and you can do Feynman diagrams with them. Open strings can have their endpoints fastened to pieces of higher space called branes; they can begin on one brane and end on another. Some combinations of branes and strings can be fine tuned to make particles thet look like the standard model.

so basically all the strings are constantly floating around breaking apart and attaching together randomly or does it depend on the element wether it is positivly charged or negativly charged for it to always be closed loop or open?

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that aims to unify all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe by viewing them as tiny vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. How does string theory differ from traditional atomic theory?

Traditional atomic theory views atoms as consisting of smaller particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. String theory, on the other hand, suggests that these particles are actually made up of tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies, giving them different properties.

3. What is the evidence for string theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for string theory. However, it is a mathematically consistent theory and has been able to explain certain phenomena such as the behavior of black holes and the interplay between gravity and quantum mechanics.

4. How does string theory address the concept of multiple dimensions?

String theory suggests that there are more than the four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension) that we experience in our everyday lives. In fact, it proposes that there may be up to 11 dimensions, with the extra dimensions being curled up and undetectable at our scale.

5. What implications does string theory have for the future of physics?

If string theory is proven to be correct, it could potentially lead to a unified theory of physics that would revolutionize our understanding of the universe. It could also have practical applications, such as advancements in technology and energy production.