Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String Theory

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    Does string theory give any valid predictions? For example could string theory dictate the motion of the planets, or the weather, or gravitatoinal effects or just really anything that is useful. All I ever hear about it string theory showing bizzare things like time in black holes and what not. What are scientists not trying to make valid predictions???

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But we already know how to predict the motion of the planets, don't we? String theorists work on the problems that they do because those are precisely the problems for which existing theories don't give valid predictions.

4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    Well I mean if string theory is absolutly correct should it not give reasonable explanations for science that is already considered correct? Should that not be a goal too?

5. Mar 23, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a goal, but that is not to say that string theorists are interested in re-working out all of the minutiae of known physics, nor should they be. They are interested in showing how string theory reduces to GR, QFT, etc..., under the appropriate conditions.

6. Mar 23, 2005 #5
  7. Mar 24, 2005 #6
    Well if you consider the aspects of string theory there is a whole lot to change if such a theory exsists. Quantum physics explains how smaller particles "work and function" relative to their enviroment while saying that everything is made up of strings ( i know its more detailed then that ) is really bizzare. Since quantum physics was before the string theory it is hard to change what a lot of Physicists think. So to get to your point I agree that string theorists should use more of their time actualy explaining how everything works.

8. Mar 24, 2005 #7
    I also would like to say that if the theory is right then if should explain a lot of scientific topics such as every specific type of physics, astrology, cosmology,and biology and chemistry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?