Exploring String Theory at Black Holes & Universe Expansion

In summary, string theory attempts to reconcile the conflicting theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity at the singularities of black holes, proposing that they can be combined into one theory. It also suggests that black holes may not have exact singularities, but rather very small sizes, and that information can be preserved in these "string balls." Additionally, string theory does not challenge the concept of dark energy as the driving force behind the expansion of our universe. However, there are alternative theories that have been proposed and the majority still believe that dark energy is the most plausible explanation.
IndustriaL
Hey, does anybody know what the string theory tries to prove at singularities of black holes and the expansion of our universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
IndustriaL said:
Hey, does anybody know what the string theory tries to prove at singularities of black holes and the expansion of our universe?

I believe, and I'm no physicist so don't trust much I say, but I believe that string theory is trying to show that in black hole singularities that are incredibly small (quantum) and incredibly massive (general relativity) that the two are somehow not at odds, and can be combined into one theory, because normally they are at odds and that's why singularities like the Big Bang and the Black Hole ones make no sense.

a few quick notes:

(A) string theory imposes minimums and maximums on size. A minimum size implies no exact singularity, but rather something very small istead. A few in the field have advanced theories of black holes that look more like places for strings to get caught and entangled together in giant "string balls" almost. This allows for information to be preserved, which even people like Hawking are now admitting seems accurate.

(B) I believe in string theory, dark energy still acounts for the expansion of our universe. I think some alternatives have been proposed, but so far the majority still feel dark energy makes the most sense.

(Note, I only have a bachelor in physics, and haven't yet studied string theory mathematically - only conceptually through articles/books/etc. Anyone is free to correct my comments on it.)

1. What is string theory and how does it relate to black holes and universe expansion?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings. These strings interact with each other and create different particles depending on their vibration pattern. String theory also suggests that black holes and universe expansion are influenced by the behavior of these strings.

2. How do black holes form according to string theory?

In string theory, black holes are formed when a large amount of matter collapses into a singularity, which is a point of infinite density. This singularity is surrounded by an event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything that enters it. String theory suggests that at the center of a black hole, the matter is transformed into strings, and the behavior of these strings determines the properties of the black hole.

3. Can string theory explain the expansion of the universe?

Yes, string theory offers a possible explanation for the expansion of the universe through the concept of branes. According to string theory, the universe is made up of multiple dimensions, and our universe exists on a brane (short for membrane) that is expanding. As the brane expands, it carries matter and energy with it, causing the expansion of the universe.

4. How does string theory predict the behavior of black holes?

String theory predicts that black holes have a temperature and emit radiation, known as Hawking radiation, due to the interaction of the strings at the event horizon. It also suggests that the entropy (or disorder) of a black hole is proportional to its surface area, rather than its volume, as predicted by classical physics.

5. Is there any evidence to support string theory's predictions about black holes and universe expansion?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support string theory's predictions. However, there have been some indirect observations, such as the detection of gravitational waves, that are consistent with the predictions of string theory. Further research and observations are needed to fully test and validate the theory.