Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String theroy problem

1. Oct 28, 2003 #1
    ok i understand the string theroy but it seems that we just keep finding somthing smaller than what we said before could this be a theroy that every thing has its own universe thinking that they are the only universe

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2003 #2
    First, I can promise you that as an eigth grader, you don't understand string theory, just for the fact that NOBODY understands it. If they did, it would not be a theory, and we would all be excited and talking about how great it is, or we would be mad and talking about how big of a disappointment it was.

Second, subatomic particles don't think, they just do, or behave in it's own nature based on it's physical properties, if you will. So to think that atoms, or yet more fundamental subatomic particles "think they are in their own universe" is wrong.

I'd do a little more reading on the String Theory... :wink:
    Paden Roder

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  4. Nov 5, 2003 #3
    Isn't it true of Eighth Graders too? Don't they just do and not think? Remember - Innocence is Ignorance and Ignorance is Bliss. Oh, to be young again!

As for fundamental particles ... there is no definitive proof that they don't think.

5. Nov 5, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There's no definitive proof either that they don't wear pink tutus and do the Dance of the Hours when we're not looking at them. Let's stick with extending what we do know about them.

6. Nov 5, 2003 #5
    He's right. I mean, I could go on about how consciousness and thinking are macroscopic processes, as I've done before, but selfAdjoint's point is good enough. Basically, stick with Occam's Razor.

7. Nov 6, 2003 #6
    I consider my blatherings hence curtailed.

Thanks for the wake-up call, you guys.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?