Vibrating String under Gravity: Solutions & Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion for a string vibrating against a transverse damping force and the effect of a transverse driving force. The equation of motion for a string in equilibrium under gravity is also considered, leading to a parabolic solution. The difference between a parabolic solution and a hyperbolic cosine solution for a hanging chain/cable/wire is also explained, with the latter being the result of a non-uniform loading due to the weight of the cable. A resource for further information on the catenary solution is also provided.
Gear300
Consider a string vibrating (with small amplitude) against a transverse damping force b(∂ψ/∂t) that acts per unit length. Also consider the effect of a transverse driving Fy that acts per unit length.

The equation of motion I got was
τ02xψ - b∂txψ + ∂xF(x,t) = λ02tψ ,
where τ0 is the tension along the string and λ0 is the linear mass density.

Now consider a string of length L in equilibrium under gravity.

The equation of motion thus becomes
τ02xψ - mg = 0 .
The solution I get from this is parabolic, whereas from what I remember, the form for a hanging chain/cable/wire/etc... is a hyperbolic cosine (cosh). I was wondering whether I made a mistake somewhere, or that this is a result of the small amplitude condition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
The solution I get from this is parabolic, whereas from what I remember, the form for a hanging chain/cable/wire/etc... is a hyperbolic cosine (cosh). I was wondering whether I made a mistake somewhere, or that this is a result of the small amplitude condition.

If you assume the loading on the cable is uniform in the horizontal direction, the solution is a parabola.

If you assume the loading comes from the weight of the cable, the loading per horizontal distance is NOT uniform, because it depends on the slope of the cable at each point. For that case, the solution is a catenary.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Catenary.html

AlephZero said:
If you assume the loading on the cable is uniform in the horizontal direction, the solution is a parabola.

If you assume the loading comes from the weight of the cable, the loading per horizontal distance is NOT uniform, because it depends on the slope of the cable at each point. For that case, the solution is a catenary.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Catenary.html

Thanks. I just realized that might have been the case. My force was not done correctly.

1. What is the concept of a vibrating string under gravity?

A vibrating string under gravity is a physical system in which a string is tied at both ends and subjected to the force of gravity. The string is then plucked or struck, causing it to vibrate and produce sound waves.

2. How does gravity affect the vibrations of the string?

Gravity affects the vibrations of the string by pulling it down towards the ground, causing the string to sag and decrease in tension. This decrease in tension leads to a decrease in the frequency of the vibrations and a change in the harmonics produced by the string.

3. What are the solutions to the vibrating string under gravity?

The solutions to the vibrating string under gravity are the standing wave patterns that are produced by the string. These patterns depend on the length, tension, and mass of the string, as well as the force of gravity. The solutions can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the wave equation and the principle of superposition.

4. What are some considerations when studying the vibrating string under gravity?

When studying the vibrating string under gravity, some considerations include the properties of the string, such as its material, thickness, and tension, as well as the effects of gravity and any external forces acting on the string. It is also important to consider the boundary conditions of the string, such as whether it is fixed at both ends or free to vibrate.

5. How is the vibrating string under gravity relevant to real-life applications?

The concept of a vibrating string under gravity has many real-life applications, such as in musical instruments like guitars and pianos, where the strings are plucked or struck to produce sound. It is also relevant in engineering and physics, as the principles of vibration and gravity are important in designing structures and understanding the behavior of physical systems.