Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strings are that cool

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    Strings are that cool!!!

>> Tying string theory together: A new book attempts to explain string theory to the masses"

Why am I constantly be annoyed by such an advertisement? I don't mean the theme (where I personally disagree).

Best regards,
    Jens

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Strings are that cool!!!

Advertising is tuned to the content of the pages you view. If you spend a lot of time reading threads that involve string theory, it's not unreasonable to expect to see the ad you describe above.

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3

I did not spend one second here in string theory. I did touch GRT but this means not that I am interested in 11 or whatever dimensions. For me this has some sort of flavour which Smolin is thinking about. Is it so attractive to get new students believing in string theory? It would be more helpful for upcoming students to get links to tutorials or something but this may not pay out.

5. Sep 18, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a very easy way around that annoyance....

https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php [Broken]

...and boom! All PF, no ads!

:wink: :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

Got it, Lisa! :smile: And since I have a new theory about spaghetti instead of strings (in combination with a galacticly great 23 dimensional tomato sauce) I may profit some day from this ads, if my book is ready. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook