Double Derivative of Curl(F) on Oriented Surface: Using Stoke's Theorem

• Thread starter Tonyt88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Stoke's Theorem states that the integral of the curl of a vector field over a surface is equal to the integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface. In this specific problem, the vector field F(x,y,z) = (3x+y)i - zj + y²k is integrated around the boundary of the union of a cylinder and a hemisphere, which is the circle at the top of the cylinder. The boundary is given by the equation x² + y² = 4 and z = 4. Using this information, the double derivative of the curl of F is evaluated by integrating F around this boundary.
Tonyt88
Stoke's Theorem

Homework Statement

F(x,y,z,) = (3x+y)i - zj + y²k;
S = the union of the cylinder {(x,y,z) : x² + y² = 4, 2 < z < 4} and the hemisphere {(x,y,z) : x² + y² +(z-2)² = 4, z < 2}, oriented by P |--> n(P) with n(0,0,0) = -k
Use Stoke's Theorem to evaluate the double derivate of curl(f) [dot] ndS for the vector field F and the oriented surface.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to use stoke's theorem when considering a union, normally I would solve the second piece for when z = 2, thus x² + y² = 4 which gives you a parametrization of <cos(t),sin(t),2> but I don't know how to consider the cylinder. Would I just say <cos(t),sin(t),4> instead to account for the opening and then note that there is a negative orientation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I my personal sense, stokes theorem may apply in the surface when it is union.You just need to let z=4,and evaluate like your former attempt.

I am not strongly convinced,cause I understand the world with field theory.
And don't sleep so late.

Last edited:
enricfemi, you "understand the world with field theory" and can't do a problem like this? This is the mathematical core of field theory!

Stokes' theorem, in this situation, says that the integral [itex]\nabla x \vec{f}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex] is equal to the integral of [itex]\vec{f}[/itex] around the boundary of the surface.

In other words, just integrate (3x+y)i - zj + y²k around the boundary of the figure. Normally a finite cylinder has two boundaries: the circle around the top and bottom. Here, the bottom is "capped" by the (inverted) hemisphere but the only thing that matters is that the only boundary is now the circle at the top: {(x,y,z) : x² + y² = 4, z= 4}. That should be easy.

LOL
Did I say something wrong?
:cry:

complementarity:
Physics world do have something different form maths ,while HallsofIvy are a professor of mathematics .Just like I cann't sure the discontiguous surface whether fit to stoke's theory out of Maxwell's equations.
:!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!)
greets

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "Double Derivative of Curl(F) on Oriented Surface"?

The concept of the Double Derivative of Curl(F) on Oriented Surface refers to a mathematical operation that calculates the change in the curl of a vector field F as it moves along a surface, taking into account the orientation of the surface. This operation is often used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.

2. How is Stoke's Theorem used in this concept?

Stoke's Theorem is used in this concept to relate the double derivative of curl(F) on an oriented surface to the line integral of the vector field F along the boundary of the surface. This theorem allows for a more efficient calculation of the double derivative of curl(F) by reducing it to a simpler line integral.

3. Can you provide an example of how this concept is applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, one example is the use of this concept in fluid dynamics to describe the circulation of a fluid around a closed curve. The double derivative of curl(F) on the surface bounded by the curve can be used to calculate the strength and direction of the fluid's circulation.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using this concept?

Yes, this concept assumes that the vector field F is continuous and differentiable on the surface and that the surface itself is smooth and orientable. In addition, the surface must be bounded by a closed curve, and the vector field must be well-behaved along this curve.

5. How does understanding the double derivative of curl(F) on oriented surfaces benefit scientists and researchers?

Understanding this concept allows scientists and researchers to analyze and model complex physical systems, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields, using mathematical tools. This can lead to a deeper understanding of natural phenomena and the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields.