Strong Acid-Strong Base Titration

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the pH of a solution when 40 mL of 0.1M NaOH is added to 100 mL of 0.1M HCl. The individual calculated the pH to be 3.14, but the teacher's book states it should be 1.37. The discrepancy was due to using the wrong logarithm function in the calculation.
patrickbotros
This is an example in my book. I have the answer for it, but I don't know why my answer was wrong. Here's the question:
Lauren pours 40 mL of .1M NaOH into 100 mL of Megan's .1 M HCl. What is the pH?
Here's what I did:
R NaOH+HCl ⇔ NaCl + H2O
I .004 , .01 ⇔ 0 0
C -.004 , -.004 ⇔ +.004 , +.004
E 0 , .006 ⇔ .004 , .004​
Then, I made another RICE table for the remaining HCl:
R HCl + H2 O ⇔ H3O++ Cl-
I .006
C -.006 -.006 +.006 +.006​
So then pH=-log(.006/.14)=3.14
But my teacher's book says pH=1.37.
UPDATE: I was using WolframAlpha.com to calculate the log and apparently it calls log what I would call ln. When I entered log base 10 (.006/.14) everything worked out fine. If somebody knows how, delete this post please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a limiting reagent question.

1. What is a strong acid-strong base titration?

A strong acid-strong base titration is a chemical process used to determine the concentration of an acid or base by reacting it with a solution of known concentration. This type of titration is characterized by the use of strong acids and strong bases, meaning that they completely ionize in solution.

2. What are the components of a strong acid-strong base titration?

The components of a strong acid-strong base titration include a burette, which is used to measure the volume of the solution being added, a standard solution of known concentration, and the solution being analyzed. Indicators, such as phenolphthalein, may also be used to signal the end point of the titration.

3. How do you perform a strong acid-strong base titration?

To perform a strong acid-strong base titration, a known volume of the solution being analyzed is placed in a flask and a few drops of indicator are added. The standard solution is then slowly added from the burette until the indicator changes color, indicating the end point of the titration. The volume of the standard solution used is then recorded and used to calculate the concentration of the solution being analyzed.

4. What is the purpose of a strong acid-strong base titration?

The purpose of a strong acid-strong base titration is to determine the concentration of an acid or base in a solution. This information is important for many scientific and industrial processes, such as in pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and water treatment.

5. What are some sources of error in a strong acid-strong base titration?

Sources of error in a strong acid-strong base titration can include inaccurate measurement of the volumes of solutions being used, incomplete mixing of solutions, and variations in the color perception of the indicator by the person performing the titration. It is important to take multiple measurements and use proper techniques to minimize these sources of error.