I Strong candidate for neutron star + black hole merger found

  • Thread starter mfb
  • Start date
  • Featured
33,226
8,941
Summary
LIGO and Virgo found an event that is most likely the merger of a neutron star with a black hole, the first strong candidate for this type of collision
Found August 14. LIGO/Virgo estimate 99.8% chance that it is such a collision and only 0.2% chance that one of the objects is in the "mass gap": Between 3 and 5 solar masses, heavier than known neutron stars but lighter than known black holes. The chance for every other type of event is negligible. This is certainly something new and will keep astronomers busy for months.
The small mass means the signal is notable for a while, that is good for localizing the source. They could narrow down the origin to 23 square degrees in the sky (most events have hundreds of square degrees). So far no electromagnetic signal has been found, despite this good localization.

If the neutron star was deformed significantly or ripped apart before it fell in, the signal might tell us more about the interior of them.

News articles: Science, Scientific American

List of detected events by type:
Binary black holes: 10 published, ~15 more strong candidates in the analysis pipeline
Binary neutron stars: 1 published, in addition 1 strong and 1 weak candidate* being studied
NS/BH: This event (being studied)
Mass gap: -

* this one is very unclear. 49% binary neutron star, 13% neutron star/black hole, 24% mass gap, 14% random noise
 

Want to reply to this thread?

"Strong candidate for neutron star + black hole merger found" You must log in or register to reply here.

Related Threads for: Strong candidate for neutron star + black hole merger found

Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Posted
2 3
Replies
70
Views
7K
Replies
7
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
764
Replies
8
Views
4K
Replies
1
Views
324
Replies
12
Views
14K
Replies
2
Views
4K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top